Should I tell my mentor about my autism, ADHD, and mental health?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Simfish
Gold Member
Messages
811
Reaction score
2
Is it ever wise to tell my mentor that I'm going through Asperger's, ADD, Social Anxiety, and depression? (by the way, the Asperger's and ADD were both professionally diagnosed - the other two undiagnosed simply because there isn't a need to go through all the trouble of diagnosing me with them).

I fully realize that they *cannot* be used as excuses, and that I will be evaluated on what output I can produce alone. Furthermore, not everyone is sympathetic to this. But I feel like I need to do it to give closure. And maybe it might explain some things to the adviser once the adviser gets down to writing recommendations for me. I *can* do research, but people need more patience with me than with most others. And that's the concern here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Simfish said:
Is it ever wise to tell my mentor that I'm going through Asperger's, ADD, Social Anxiety, and depression? (by the way, the Asperger's and ADD were both professionally diagnosed - the other two undiagnosed simply because there isn't a need to go through all the trouble of diagnosing me with them).

Depends on the relationship you have with that person. If you see them as a close friend, then sure, but they probably already know. If you see them as your manager, the probably not.