Manipulation with the Dirac equation

In summary, the Dirac equation states that ##i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi=m\psi## and by applying Hermitean conjugation and using the pseudo-hermitecity relation of the Dirac matrices, we can show that ##(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}=im\bar{\psi}##. This does not require a symmetric Lagrangian, as the definition of the ##\gamma## matrices and bispinors are fundamental to the derivation.
spaghetti3451
I know that the Dirac equation is ##i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi=m\psi##.

How do I use this to show that ##(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}=im\bar{\psi}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all you have (in the usual standard representations of the Dirac matrices)
$$\gamma^{\mu \dagger}=\gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0,$$
the "pseudo-hermitecity relation" and the definition
$$\overline{\psi}=\psi^{\dagger} \gamma^0.$$
So now take the Dirac equation and first apply Hermitean conjugation:
$$-\mathrm{i} \partial_{\mu} \psi^{\dagger} \gamma^{\mu \dagger}=m\psi^{\dagger}.$$
Now use ##(\gamma^0)^2=1## to first write on the left-hand side
$$-\mathrm{i} \partial_{\mu} \overline{\psi} \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu \dagger} = m \psi^{\dagger}.$$
Finally multiply this equation with ##\gamma^0## and use the pseudo-hermitecity relation of the Dirac matrices to finally get the claimed equation:
$$-\mathrm{i} \partial_{\mu} \overline{\psi} \gamma^{\mu}=m \overline{\psi}.$$

Likes spaghetti3451
How do you get from Psi to Psi-bar in the absence of a symmetric Lagrangian? @vanhees71 this smells like a homework problem (incorrectly placed outside the HW section), so I wouldn't throw in the solution.

What has the Lagrangian to do with basic definitions of the ##\gamma## matrices and bispinors?

Well, the Dirac equation in line 1 is one of the two Euler-Lagrange equations for the symmetrized Lagrangian density. The other Euler-Lagrange equation is the one whose derivation he sought. Your solution is direct, I was trying to lead him there.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical formula developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s to describe the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons. It combines elements of special relativity and quantum mechanics to provide a more complete understanding of these particles.

2. How is the Dirac equation used in physics?

The Dirac equation is used to describe the properties and behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons. It has been instrumental in the development of quantum field theory, which is a framework for understanding the interactions between particles at a fundamental level. It is also used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

3. Can the Dirac equation be manipulated to solve for different scenarios?

Yes, the Dirac equation can be manipulated to solve for different scenarios. It can be solved analytically for simple systems, but for more complex scenarios, numerical methods are often used. Additionally, modifications and extensions of the Dirac equation have been developed to describe different types of particles and interactions.

4. What are some applications of the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation has numerous applications in physics, including predicting the properties of particles and their interactions, understanding the behavior of materials at the atomic level, and explaining phenomena such as the spin of electrons and the behavior of antimatter. It also has practical applications in technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

5. Are there any limitations to the Dirac equation?

While the Dirac equation has been extremely successful in describing the behavior of particles with spin, it does have limitations. It does not take into account the effects of gravity, and it cannot fully describe the interactions between particles at extremely high energies. Additionally, it does not fully account for the effects of quantum fluctuations and other aspects of quantum mechanics. As such, it is often used in conjunction with other theories to provide a more complete understanding of the physical world.