Mann-Whitney U Test: p=1.0 - Should I Report z = 0.0001?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
nobahar
Messages
482
Reaction score
2
Hey everyone,
I got z = 0, and therefore p = 1.0 in a Mann-Whitney U test. Considering this is impossible, should I instead report z = 0.0001 and p = 0.99?
Also, I have a different number of participants in my two conditions, I ran a parametric independent samples t-test, does anyone know if SPSS (the program I used) corrects for this?
Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think SPSS sorts for that.

How have you entered your data in SPSS, since that might sometimes do the trick. You might just have entered it the wrong way. Try to transpose your data and see what SPSS then comes up with if you do the same...
 
Thanks for the reply sander.
I can’t remember how I entered it into SPSS as it was awhile ago now. I 'remember' (for what episodic memory is worth!) making several attempts. I normally do. I also did the calculations by hand (as was standard unless there was a lot of participants, in which case its far to laborious and more prone to errors). If I recall, it came close to z=0, but wasn't quite so; would this make sense? I'm pretty sure SPSS simply took it to be z=0, when it clearly couldn't have been.
I think I resolved to put P=0.99 on the assignment.
 
nobahar said:
Thanks for the reply sander.
I can’t remember how I entered it into SPSS as it was awhile ago now. I 'remember' (for what episodic memory is worth!) making several attempts. I normally do. I also did the calculations by hand (as was standard unless there was a lot of participants, in which case its far to laborious and more prone to errors). If I recall, it came close to z=0, but wasn't quite so; would this make sense? I'm pretty sure SPSS simply took it to be z=0, when it clearly couldn't have been.
I think I resolved to put P=0.99 on the assignment.

Hmmm now that's odd. SPSS is some weird stuff, it works just totally against your instincts.

I think resolving the problem by saying p=0.99 doesn't solve the problem...

It might be that your data is rounded, which might just make the difference between 0.99 and 1.00. SPSS usually uses 2.2 significance. (ie 12.34 -> 12.3456 will become 1.36).