How to take into consideration errors in the Mann-Whitney test?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the Mann-Whitney test for intergroup statistical analysis and whether standard deviations of experimental data should be taken into consideration. It was determined that the Mann-Whitney test uses ranks of data and does not directly consider standard deviations. However, the standard deviations can potentially affect the ranks and lead to some issues. It was suggested to perform separate tests for equality of means and variance, such as t-test and F-test. The question of how to take into account standard deviations in the Mann-Whitney test remains unanswered.
Leonid92
I have 2 independent samples (groups), each group contains 10 experimental values of variable T and their standard deviations (errors). I need to do intergroup statistical analysis, i.e. to elucidate whether there is significant difference between 2 groups in terms of variable T. I chose non-parametric Mann-Whitney test for doing such analysis. The question is: should I take into consideration standard deviations of my experimental data? If yes, how can I take into consideration the standard deviations in Mann-Whitney test?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know a great deal about statistics but isn't the Mann-Whitney test an rank test and as such does not use experimental values or standard deviations?

gleem said:
I do not know a great deal about statistics but isn't the Mann-Whitney test an rank test and as such does not use experimental values or standard deviations?
Mann-Whitney test definitely uses experimental values, you can see the following source: https://www.statsdirect.co.uk/help/nonparametric_methods/mann_whitney.htm

Yes the experimental values are used but to determine the rank of the measurements which are then used in determining the Whitney-Manning U statistic. The standard deviations do not enter the calculation. The ranking of the data must be carried out in the StatsDirect software.

If you are not familiar with the workings of this statistic it might be valuable to make up some data and work out a simple situation by hand to see how the calculation is performed.

Also you may want to look at the original paper by Mann and Whitney.

Likes Leonid92
gleem said:
Yes the experimental values are used but to determine the rank of the measurements which are then used in determining the Whitney-Manning U statistic. The standard deviations do not enter the calculation. The ranking of the data must be carried out in the StatsDirect software.

If you are not familiar with the workings of this statistic it might be valuable to make up some data and work out a simple situation by hand to see how the calculation is performed.

Also you may want to look at the original paper by Mann and Whitney.
Thank you!

gleem said:
The numerical values of the data don't matter---only their ranks are used. So, if the standard deviations are all "small" they likely will not give much of a chance of a change of rank. However, if they are large enough, they could lead to a credible possibility of a change of rank, and that could lead to some tricky and interesting issues.

Likes WWGD and gleem
Yes. So you would not want to use a rank test on any data whose uncertainty would change the ranks.

Likes Leonid92
Maybe you can do separately tests for equality of means ( t-test) and variance ( F-test)? Are you interested in any soecific parameters from your population?

Likes Leonid92
gleem said:
Leonid,

When I asked you about the nature of your data in https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...o-experimental-data-good.966073/#post-6140610 I wasn't paying attention and I thought I was in this thread. sorry. Are you talking about the same data in this thread? If so can you tell me how the variable T is related to the spectra ? Does @Ray Vickson's comment above help you how to consider the uncertainties in the Mann-Whitney test?

In this thread, I'm talking about magnetic resonance data as well, but in this case it is T value which is retrieved from exponential curve. Yet I don't unerstand, how standard deviations should be considered in Mann-Whitney test if we assume that standard deviations are not small. What formula should I use to take into account standard deviations when performing Mann-Whitney test? I didn't find any formula for this.

WWGD said:
Maybe you can do separately tests for equality of means ( t-test) and variance ( F-test)? Are you interested in any soecific parameters from your population?

Thank you! I will look at t-test and F-test

Likes WWGD
Leonid92 said:
In this thread, I'm talking about magnetic resonance data as well, but in this case it is T value which is retrieved from exponential curve. Yet I don't unerstand, how standard deviations should be considered in Mann-Whitney test if we assume that standard deviations are not small. What formula should I use to take into account standard deviations when performing Mann-Whitney test? I didn't find any formula for this.
But please remember, as someone else stated, that the Mann-Whitney only makes use of the ranks; by design it is non-parametric, i.e., it makes no assumptions about population parameters and their respective properties.

Likes Leonid92
Leonid92 said:
What formula should I use to take into account standard deviations when performing Mann-Whitney test? I didn't find any formula for this.

Being a non parametric you do not need to determine any other information from the data as the sample mean. Let me give an illustration of ranking for a simple example using the Wilcoxon rank sum test which is very similar to the Mann Whitney test. You have two situations which you wish to compare for statistically significant difference in results , A and B. You repeat the experiment seven times.
Wilcoxon data.png
The largest difference (disregarding sign) is given the rank of the number of experiments i.e. 7 and the smallest difference (disregarding sign) is ranked one. Sum the negative valued numbers and compare to the sum of the positive numbers. Take the lower number of the two and go to the Table of the the statistic for that test. The table will have been computed for the number of pairs and for the confidence level. If the number is less than the number associated with a given confidence level for the given number pairs then the difference data is statistically significant at that level.

In the example the sum of the positive numbers is 8 and the sum of the negative ranks is 20 from the appropriate table the expected value at the 5% level for seven pairs is 2. Since the value above is 8 the data for the two situations is not significantly different at the 5% level. You might have suspected it anyway.by just looking at the data.

The rank sum tests are often used in comparing data that is more qualitative. For example compare two different implementations of a service using a questionnaire which uses the questions do you; strongly agree, agree, somewhat agree, neutral, somewhat, disagree, disagree, and strongly disagree. You would assign numerical values for these answers from 1 to 8.

Advantage of the rank sum tests is that the population distribution of the data does not need to be normal and the test is not sensitive to outliers.

As far as the uncertainties are concerned If they are larger than the separations of the measurements on average you can see a problems for the ranks and therefore the sums can be significantly different if you where to repeat the series of experiments. Your only job would be to assure this is not the case and forget about them in this test.

Attachments

• Wilcoxon data.png
    Wilcoxon data.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 436
Likes Leonid92
gleem said:
Being a non parametric you do not need to determine any other information from the data as the sample mean. Let me give an illustration of ranking for a simple example using the Wilcoxon rank sum test which is very similar to the Mann Whitney test. You have two situations which you wish to compare for statistically significant difference in results , A and B. You repeat the experiment seven times.
View attachment 239609The largest difference (disregarding sign) is given the rank of the number of experiments i.e. 7 and the smallest difference (disregarding sign) is ranked one. Sum the negative valued numbers and compare to the sum of the positive numbers. Take the lower number of the two and go to the Table of the the statistic for that test. The table will have been computed for the number of pairs and for the confidence level. If the number is less than the number associated with a given confidence level for the given number pairs then the difference data is statistically significant at that level.

In the example the sum of the positive numbers is 8 and the sum of the negative ranks is 20 from the appropriate table the expected value at the 5% level for seven pairs is 2. Since the value above is 8 the data for the two situations is not significantly different at the 5% level. You might have suspected it anyway.by just looking at the data.

The rank sum tests are often used in comparing data that is more qualitative. For example compare two different implementations of a service using a questionnaire which uses the questions do you; strongly agree, agree, somewhat agree, neutral, somewhat, disagree, disagree, and strongly disagree. You would assign numerical values for these answers from 1 to 8.

Advantage of the rank sum tests is that the population distribution of the data does not need to be normal and the test is not sensitive to outliers.

As far as the uncertainties are concerned If they are larger than the separations of the measurements on average you can see a problems for the ranks and therefore the sums can be significantly different if you where to repeat the series of experiments. Your only job would be to assure this is not the case and forget about them in this test.
Thanks a lot for this explanation!

1. What is the Mann-Whitney test and why is it used?

The Mann-Whitney test is a non-parametric statistical test used to compare two independent groups. It is often used when the data does not meet the assumptions of a parametric test, such as the t-test. This test is used to determine if there is a significant difference between the two groups in terms of their medians.

2. How do errors affect the results of the Mann-Whitney test?

Errors, such as measurement errors or sampling errors, can impact the accuracy of the results of the Mann-Whitney test. These errors can lead to incorrect conclusions about the difference between the two groups being tested.

3. What are type I and type II errors in the Mann-Whitney test?

Type I error, also known as a false positive, occurs when the test incorrectly rejects the null hypothesis and concludes that there is a significant difference between the two groups when there is actually no difference. Type II error, also known as a false negative, occurs when the test fails to reject the null hypothesis when there is actually a significant difference between the two groups.

4. How can errors be taken into consideration in the Mann-Whitney test?

There are a few ways to take errors into consideration in the Mann-Whitney test. One way is to increase the sample size, which can help reduce the impact of sampling errors. Another way is to use more accurate measurement techniques to reduce measurement errors. Additionally, conducting multiple tests and adjusting the significance level can help minimize the risk of type I errors.

5. What should be done if errors are present in the Mann-Whitney test?

If errors are present in the Mann-Whitney test, it is important to acknowledge and address them in the interpretation of the results. This can include discussing the potential impact of errors on the results and considering alternative explanations for any significant differences observed between the two groups. It may also be beneficial to conduct further research or collect additional data to confirm the findings of the initial test.