Exploring Quantum Phenomena: Many Interacting Worlds Approach

In summary: Maybe he wants to be seen on the webIn summary, the paper "Quantum Phenomena Modeled by Interactions between Many Classical Worlds" proposes a new interpretation of quantum mechanics in which quantum effects arise from a universal interaction between a large number of classical "worlds." Each world evolves deterministically, but probabilities arise from ignorance about which world an observer occupies. This approach is able to reproduce some generic quantum phenomena and has been the subject of recent discussions and presentations. However, there is also some criticism and debate surrounding this interpretation.
DrClaude
Mentor
What do you guys think about this?

Quantum Phenomena Modeled by Interactions between Many Classical Worlds
Michael J. W. Hall, Dirk-André Deckert, and Howard M. Wiseman

Phys. Rev X 4, 041013 (2014)

We investigate whether quantum theory can be understood as the continuum limit of a mechanical theory, in which there is a huge, but finite, number of classical “worlds,” and quantum effects arise solely from a universal interaction between these worlds, without reference to any wave function. Here, a “world” means an entire universe with well-defined properties, determined by the classical configuration of its particles and fields. In our approach, each world evolves deterministically, probabilities arise due to ignorance as to which world a given observer occupies, and we argue that in the limit of infinitely many worlds the wave function can be recovered (as a secondary object) from the motion of these worlds. We introduce a simple model of such a “many interacting worlds” approach and show that it can reproduce some generic quantum phenomena—such as Ehrenfest’s theorem, wave packet spreading, barrier tunneling, and zero-point energy—as a direct consequence of mutual repulsion between worlds. Finally, we perform numerical simulations using our approach. We demonstrate, first, that it can be used to calculate quantum ground states, and second, that it is capable of reproducing, at least qualitatively, the double-slit interference phenomenon.

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks interesting. And it does tie in with something I have always had a sneaky suspicion about - the worlds of eternal inflation may have something to do with the worlds of MW.

The world is not classical - its relativistic - that would be my biggest issue.

But like any interpretation - experimentally how do you tell the difference?

Until that can be done I think what interpretation you prefer reveals more about psychology than actual physics - just my view.

Thanks
Bill

Interestingly Griffith University where one of the authors is located is just up the road from where I live.

On the way home today the popular press via the radio were all announcing this as some huge breakthrough by local physicists.

Of course I had a bit of a chuckle.

Thanks
Bill

Likes ripe90
DrClaude said:

Downloaded. The abstract made me do it. Well, that and you. Thanks. Time to go to work on this. :)

Likes bhobba
DrClaude said:

And here's an arxiv link for those who can not tunnel through paywalls:
"Quantum Phenomena Modeled by Interactions between Many Classical Worlds"
http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.6144
Tunnel to the pdf directly here.

EDIT: Oops, sorry o:), I just discovered that DrClaude's link was not defended by any paywall. Well, well...

DennisN said:
EDIT: Oops, sorry o:), I just discovered that DrClaude's link was not defended by any paywall. Well, well...
Yes, Physical Review X is open access.

I think the paper is very interesting, though in order for this to really be compelling I think they'd have to show a derivation of spin-statistics from this formulation. However with a bit more work this could be very useful. I'd like to know if one could write polynomial-time algorithms to do calculations that give good approximations to quantum results with this method.

Last edited:
Here's a video presentation of that model:
http://www.emqm13.org/abstracts/presentation-videos/video-howard-wiseman/

And a slide presentation:
http://www.emqm13.org/wp-content/pdf/Wiseman-EmQM13.pdf

Also discussed in FQXi:
http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2276

Charles T. Sebens also independently proposed a somewhat similar model:
Here I explore a novel no-collapse interpretation of quantum mechanics which combines aspects of two familiar and well-developed alternatives, Bohmian mechanics and the many-worlds interpretation. Despite reproducing the empirical predictions of quantum mechanics, the theory looks surprisingly classical. All there is at the fundamental level are particles interacting via Newtonian forces. There is no wave function. However, there are many
worlds.
Quantum Mechanics as Classical Physics
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1403.0014v2.pdf

It seems to be a combination of Bohmian and MWI interpretation?

Last edited:
Likes julcab12 and bhobba
Sounds interesting, I'll take a look when I can. :)

Recent Perimeter lecture on the topic by Dirk-André Deckert:

Quantum phenomena modeled by interactions between many classical worlds

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/videos/quantum-phenomena-modelled-interactions-between-many-classical-worlds

ripe90 said:
It is quite strong language used in my opinion.
That's typical for Lubos Motl. I would advise not to take this guy too seriously.

Likes bohm2 and bhobba
I think he has good ideas, but the way of writing should be better. I also saw one video with him and he was speaking in normal way. I do not know why the texts are so aggressive.

1) What is the Many Interacting Worlds Approach in quantum physics?

The Many Interacting Worlds Approach is a theory in quantum physics that proposes the existence of parallel universes or alternate realities. It suggests that every time a quantum event occurs, the universe splits into multiple versions, each with a different outcome. This approach challenges the traditional view of a single, deterministic universe and offers a new way of understanding quantum phenomena.

2) How is the Many Interacting Worlds Approach different from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The Many Interacting Worlds Approach differs from other interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in that it does not rely on the concept of wave function collapse. Instead, it suggests that all possible outcomes of a quantum event exist simultaneously in different parallel universes, and the observer's perception of a single outcome is simply a result of their consciousness being confined to one world.

3) What evidence supports the Many Interacting Worlds Approach?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the Many Interacting Worlds Approach. However, it offers a solution to the measurement problem in quantum mechanics and provides a more intuitive explanation for phenomena such as quantum entanglement. Additionally, some aspects of the theory, such as the ability to explain the double-slit experiment, have been tested and shown to be consistent with experimental results.

4) Can the Many Interacting Worlds Approach be tested or proven?

As with most interpretations of quantum mechanics, the Many Interacting Worlds Approach is currently a theoretical framework and cannot be definitively tested or proven. However, there are ongoing efforts to develop experiments that could provide evidence for or against the existence of parallel universes and support this approach.

5) Are there any practical applications of the Many Interacting Worlds Approach?

At this time, there are no known practical applications of the Many Interacting Worlds Approach. However, the theory has sparked new ideas and perspectives in the field of quantum physics and may lead to future breakthroughs and technologies. Additionally, the approach may have philosophical implications for our understanding of reality and consciousness.