Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Many Interacting Worlds

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What do you guys think about this?

Quantum Phenomena Modeled by Interactions between Many Classical Worlds
    Michael J. W. Hall, Dirk-André Deckert, and Howard M. Wiseman

Phys. Rev X 4, 041013 (2014)

We investigate whether quantum theory can be understood as the continuum limit of a mechanical theory, in which there is a huge, but finite, number of classical “worlds,” and quantum effects arise solely from a universal interaction between these worlds, without reference to any wave function. Here, a “world” means an entire universe with well-defined properties, determined by the classical configuration of its particles and fields. In our approach, each world evolves deterministically, probabilities arise due to ignorance as to which world a given observer occupies, and we argue that in the limit of infinitely many worlds the wave function can be recovered (as a secondary object) from the motion of these worlds. We introduce a simple model of such a “many interacting worlds” approach and show that it can reproduce some generic quantum phenomena—such as Ehrenfest’s theorem, wave packet spreading, barrier tunneling, and zero-point energy—as a direct consequence of mutual repulsion between worlds. Finally, we perform numerical simulations using our approach. We demonstrate, first, that it can be used to calculate quantum ground states, and second, that it is capable of reproducing, at least qualitatively, the double-slit interference phenomenon.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

bhobba

Looks interesting. And it does tie in with something I have always had a sneaky suspicion about - the worlds of eternal inflation may have something to do with the worlds of MW.

The world is not classical - its relativistic - that would be my biggest issue.

But like any interpretation - experimentally how do you tell the difference?

Until that can be done I think what interpretation you prefer reveals more about psychology than actual physics - just my view.

Thanks
    Bill

4. Oct 25, 2014 #3

bhobba

Interestingly Griffith University where one of the authors is located is just up the road from where I live.

On the way home today the popular press via the radio were all announcing this as some huge breakthrough by local physicists.

Of course I had a bit of a chuckle.

Thanks
    Bill

5. Oct 25, 2014 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Downloaded. The abstract made me do it. Well, that and you. Thanks. Time to go to work on this. :)

6. Oct 26, 2014 #5
    And here's an arxiv link for those who can not tunnel through paywalls:
    "Quantum Phenomena Modeled by Interactions between Many Classical Worlds"
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.6144
    Tunnel to the pdf directly here.

EDIT: Oops, sorry o:), I just discovered that DrClaude's link was not defended by any paywall. Well, well...

7. Oct 26, 2014 #6

DrClaude

Yes, Physical Review X is open access.

8. Oct 26, 2014 #7
    I think the paper is very interesting, though in order for this to really be compelling I think they'd have to show a derivation of spin-statistics from this formulation. However with a bit more work this could be very useful. I'd like to know if one could write polynomial-time algorithms to do calculations that give good approximations to quantum results with this method.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  9. Dec 2, 2014 #8
    Here's a video presentation of that model:
    http://www.emqm13.org/abstracts/presentation-videos/video-howard-wiseman/

And a slide presentation:
    http://www.emqm13.org/wp-content/pdf/Wiseman-EmQM13.pdf

Also discussed in FQXi:
    http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2276

Charles T. Sebens also independently proposed a somewhat similar model:
    Quantum Mechanics as Classical Physics
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1403.0014v2.pdf

It seems to be a combination of Bohmian and MWI interpretation?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  10. Dec 2, 2014 #9

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds interesting, I'll take a look when I can. :)

11. Dec 21, 2014 #10
  12. Dec 21, 2014 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

13. May 20, 2015 #12
  14. Sep 30, 2015 #13
  15. Oct 1, 2015 #14

Demystifier

Science Advisor

That's typical for Lubos Motl. I would advise not to take this guy too seriously.

16. Oct 1, 2015 #15
    I think he has good ideas, but the way of writing should be better. I also saw one video with him and he was speaking in normal way. I do not know why the texts are so agressive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook