Is this map of metabolic pathways comprehensive or are there missing components?

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map
In summary, this map is a great starting point for understanding the complexity of biological systems.
Biology news on Phys.org
The circular part in the middle is the Krebs cycle or the TCA (TriCarboxylic Acid) cycle.
This has been also called core metabolism.

It is thought to have been the beginnings of metabolism before commonly recognized life. Parts or most of it are thought to be auto-catalytic, possibly with the aid of naturally occurring mineral catalysts.
Other pathways were elaborted from this core of metabolism.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and BWV
BWV said:
can get some idea of the complexity of biological systems from this graphic

https://faculty.cc.gatech.edu/~turk/bio_sim/articles/metabolic_pathways.png
I can't open it but my friend had a T shirt, I bet it is something like your link. He studied Biochemistry. Why would you do that? JUST Biochemistry?
The most interesting part of A level Biology but when I hit Uni I realized Biochemistry was a lot of stuff that did not stay in my head as well as some of the other modules!

Likes BillTre
As an undergrad, I took a lot of chemistry.
I considered it a lot less interesting with each successive class until I got to biochemistry and the chemistry being studied better matched up with (and helped to further understand) my biological interests.

Likes pinball1970
Fra said:
Awesome image!
Aren't we all sick and tired of slmple wallpapers? May o use it to print a wallpaper for my office? 🤣

/Fredrik
There used to be a poster-print handed out by Boehringer Mannheim (here in Europe). You night want to ask their follow-up company - Roche - whether they still have it. But... ...I frankly doubt they'll supply you with enough copies for your wallpapering project.

Nice thing to have in your office when you're a bichemist or molecular biologist, though.Also, this map is incomplete - photosynthesis is missing. So it's only a map of the animal / fungal / bacterial metabolism. Also - I only screened it - e,g, ascorbate synthesis also seems to be missing... ...so it's probably ohly the human cell metabolism (e.g. dogs synthesise ascorbate on their own)..

1. What is the purpose of a map of metabolic pathways?

A map of metabolic pathways is a visual representation of the chemical reactions that occur within an organism to convert nutrients into energy and other essential molecules. It helps scientists understand the interconnectedness and complexity of metabolic processes and can aid in identifying potential targets for drug development.

2. How is a map of metabolic pathways created?

A map of metabolic pathways is typically created by compiling data from various sources, including scientific literature, databases, and experimental studies. This information is then organized and visualized using specialized software or tools to show the relationships between different metabolic reactions and pathways.

3. Is a map of metabolic pathways comprehensive?

While efforts are made to include as much information as possible, it is unlikely that a map of metabolic pathways will be completely comprehensive. New pathways and reactions are constantly being discovered, and there may also be variations between different organisms or individuals. However, a well-constructed map can provide a comprehensive overview of the known metabolic processes.

4. How can we determine if there are missing components in a map of metabolic pathways?

One way to determine if there are missing components in a map of metabolic pathways is to compare it to other existing maps or databases. If there are discrepancies or gaps, it may indicate missing components. Additionally, further experimental studies can be conducted to identify and fill in any missing information.

5. Can a map of metabolic pathways be updated as new information becomes available?

Yes, a map of metabolic pathways can and should be updated as new information becomes available. This allows for a more accurate and complete representation of metabolic processes and can aid in advancing our understanding of complex biological systems.