Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marcus has passed on

1. May 6, 2016 #1
    It is with great emotion that I announce the passing of our Marcus. Everybody knows here how much he gave to this community. He has been important for me, and for many young quantum-gravity enthusiasts. I learned the first things about loop quantum gravity thanks to him. He had an unique acute and sweet way to put everything. I loved it and I hope I will always bring it with me. And I loved and used this thread that he started. I hope we will keep it alive, in the spirit he made it.
    Francesca

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2016 #2
    Very sorry to hear this. Really.
    He was a very friendly and inspiring presence here.

4. May 6, 2016 #3
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  5. May 6, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was always amazed and impressed by his patience and his willingness to give very detailed answers, many of which were very helpful to me and I'm very sure to many others as well.

He was a major force in PF and I will miss him, as will many others, I'm sure.

RIP

6. May 6, 2016 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. May 6, 2016 #6
    This news truly shocks me. Although I didn't really engage in much discussion with him, he seemed well informed on a variety of physics topics and recent pre-print's and their popularity. He was also the person who guided me in the direction of a book that was in Italian, and soon to be published in English. That book will serve me a reminder of marcus. May he rest in peace.

8. May 6, 2016 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm in shock. Marcus was one of the first people on this forum that befriended me along with arildno, We discussed the Heimskringla, Icelandic sagas, interpretations from Olde English. He opened a whole new world to me.

I'm without words, what happened?

9. May 6, 2016 #8

Nugatory

This is a great loss, and more shocking because his online presence was so alive and vital. I'm trying to imagine scrolling through BtSM or Astro and not seeing that A. E. Neuman avatar....

10. May 6, 2016 #9

1oldman2

Gold Member

I couldn't have said it better, :frown: RIP. Even being relatively new to the site it was obvious Marcus was instrumental in so much going on here.

11. May 6, 2016 #10

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Marcus was invariably helpful, cheerful and good-tempered. Always happy to share his compendious knowledge and amazingly patient with those that were suffering from misconceptions. One of my favourite posters.

12. May 6, 2016 #11

atyy

Science Advisor

I am sad to hear this. I always enjoyed talking to him here on PF and learnt a lot from him.

13. May 6, 2016 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No........

:cry:

14. May 6, 2016 #13

Drakkith

Seconded. :cry:

15. May 6, 2016 #14

berkeman

marcus and his posts were a big reason that I stuck around at the PF. He will be missed very much. RIP brother and mentor.

16. May 6, 2016 #15

Bran

Gold Member

My sincere condolences to those whose lives were touched by Marcus. Just from what I've read in this thread, it's clear he will be missed.

17. May 6, 2016 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

:cry:

18. May 6, 2016 #17

Evo

He was one of a kind, a truly brilliant man so knowledgeable in so many areas, but he never made you feel dumb.

19. May 6, 2016 #18

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Even if I was.......

20. May 6, 2016 #19

Evo

I feel we were all dumb in some aspect compared to Marcus, I was always amazed at the extent of his knowledge.

21. May 6, 2016 #20

Evo

This makes me realize the quality of people PF has attracted and kept. I hope his passing was peaceful. May you rest in peace Marcus, and thank you for all you brought to me, you changed my life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted