Marcus has passed on

It is with great emotion that I announce the passing of our Marcus. Everybody knows here how much he gave to this community. He has been important for me, and for many young quantum-gravity enthusiasts. I learned the first things about loop quantum gravity thanks to him. He had an unique acute and sweet way to put everything. I loved it and I hope I will always bring it with me. And I loved and used this thread that he started. I hope we will keep it alive, in the spirit he made it.
Francesca

It is with great emotion that I announce the passing of our Marcus. Everybody knows here how much he gave to this community. He has been important for me, and for many young quantum-gravity enthusiasts. I learned the first things about loop quantum gravity thanks to him. He had an unique acute and sweet way to put everything. I loved it and I hope I will always bring it with me. And I loved and used this thread that he started. I hope we will keep it alive, in the spirit he made it.
Francesca
Very sorry to hear this. Really.
He was a very friendly and inspiring presence here.

Last edited:
I was always amazed and impressed by his patience and his willingness to give very detailed answers, many of which were very helpful to me and I'm very sure to many others as well.

He was a major force in PF and I will miss him, as will many others, I'm sure.

RIP

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
This news truly shocks me. Although I didn't really engage in much discussion with him, he seemed well informed on a variety of physics topics and recent pre-print's and their popularity. He was also the person who guided me in the direction of a book that was in Italian, and soon to be published in English. That book will serve me a reminder of marcus. May he rest in peace.

Evo

Mentor
I'm in shock. Marcus was one of the first people on this forum that befriended me along with arildno, We discussed the Heimskringla, Icelandic sagas, interpretations from Olde English. He opened a whole new world to me.

I'm without words, what happened?

Nugatory

Mentor
This is a great loss, and more shocking because his online presence was so alive and vital. I'm trying to imagine scrolling through BtSM or Astro and not seeing that A. E. Neuman avatar....

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Marcus was invariably helpful, cheerful and good-tempered. Always happy to share his compendious knowledge and amazingly patient with those that were suffering from misconceptions. One of my favourite posters.

Bran

Gold Member
My sincere condolences to those whose lives were touched by Marcus. Just from what I've read in this thread, it's clear he will be missed.

OmCheeto

Gold Member
He was one of a kind, a truly brilliant man so knowledgeable in so many areas, but he never made you feel dumb.
Even if I was.......

Evo

Mentor
This makes me realize the quality of people PF has attracted and kept. I hope his passing was peaceful. May you rest in peace Marcus, and thank you for all you brought to me, you changed my life.