Marcus: A Life of Giving & Quantum-Gravity Enthusiasm

• Thread starter francesca
  • Start date
In summary, Marcus has passed away due to esophagus cancer, which was discovered in September and had already advanced. He was a beloved member of the community, known for his vast knowledge and helpfulness in discussions. He will be greatly missed by all.
francesca
It is with great emotion that I announce the passing of our Marcus. Everybody knows here how much he gave to this community. He has been important for me, and for many young quantum-gravity enthusiasts. I learned the first things about loop quantum gravity thanks to him. He had an unique acute and sweet way to put everything. I loved it and I hope I will always bring it with me. And I loved and used this thread that he started. I hope we will keep it alive, in the spirit he made it.
Francesca

Likes Electron Spin, MTd2, Monsterboy and 39 others
Physics news on Phys.org
francesca said:
It is with great emotion that I announce the passing of our Marcus. Everybody knows here how much he gave to this community. He has been important for me, and for many young quantum-gravity enthusiasts. I learned the first things about loop quantum gravity thanks to him. He had an unique acute and sweet way to put everything. I loved it and I hope I will always bring it with me. And I loved and used this thread that he started. I hope we will keep it alive, in the spirit he made it.
Francesca

Very sorry to hear this. Really.
He was a very friendly and inspiring presence here.

Likes arivero, rachiey, dubya_80 and 7 others
Last edited:
Likes Electron Spin, Monsterboy, rachiey and 10 others
I was always amazed and impressed by his patience and his willingness to give very detailed answers, many of which were very helpful to me and I'm very sure to many others as well.

He was a major force in PF and I will miss him, as will many others, I'm sure.

RIP

Likes Tsu, Monsterboy, dubya_80 and 12 others
This news truly shocks me. Although I didn't really engage in much discussion with him, he seemed well informed on a variety of physics topics and recent pre-print's and their popularity. He was also the person who guided me in the direction of a book that was in Italian, and soon to be published in English. That book will serve me a reminder of marcus. May he rest in peace.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt, vanhees71, Evo and 2 others
I'm in shock. Marcus was one of the first people on this forum that befriended me along with arildno, We discussed the Heimskringla, Icelandic sagas, interpretations from Olde English. He opened a whole new world to me.

I'm without words, what happened?

Likes Monsterboy, dlgoff, BiGyElLoWhAt and 8 others
This is a great loss, and more shocking because his online presence was so alive and vital. I'm trying to imagine scrolling through BtSM or Astro and not seeing that A. E. Neuman avatar...

Likes rachiey, dlgoff, BiGyElLoWhAt and 6 others
Evo said:
I'm without words, what happened?
I couldn't have said it better, :frown: RIP. Even being relatively new to the site it was obvious Marcus was instrumental in so much going on here.

Likes acegikmoqsuwy, Kirito123, dubya_80 and 5 others
Marcus was invariably helpful, cheerful and good-tempered. Always happy to share his compendious knowledge and amazingly patient with those that were suffering from misconceptions. One of my favourite posters.

Likes dubya_80, BiGyElLoWhAt, vanhees71 and 3 others
I am sad to hear this. I always enjoyed talking to him here on PF and learned a lot from him.

Likes maline, BiGyElLoWhAt, OmCheeto and 2 others
No...

:cry:

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt, 1oldman2, Evo and 1 other person
OmCheeto said:
No...

Seconded. :cry:

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt, 1oldman2, Evo and 1 other person
marcus and his posts were a big reason that I stuck around at the PF. He will be missed very much. RIP brother and mentor.

Likes Monsterboy, fresh_42, dlgoff and 7 others
My sincere condolences to those whose lives were touched by Marcus. Just from what I've read in this thread, it's clear he will be missed.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt, vanhees71, OmCheeto and 2 others
berkeman said:
marcus and his posts

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt, vanhees71, Greg Bernhardt and 2 others
He was one of a kind, a truly brilliant man so knowledgeable in so many areas, but he never made you feel dumb.

Likes Monsterboy, ProfuselyQuarky, dubya_80 and 9 others
Evo said:
He was one of a kind, a truly brilliant man so knowledgeable in so many areas, but he never made you feel dumb.
Even if I was...

Likes Tazerfish
OmCheeto said:
Even if I was...
I feel we were all dumb in some aspect compared to Marcus, I was always amazed at the extent of his knowledge.

Likes Monsterboy, dubya_80, Astronuc and 4 others
This makes me realize the quality of people PF has attracted and kept. I hope his passing was peaceful. May you rest in peace Marcus, and thank you for all you brought to me, you changed my life.

Likes Monsterboy, mheslep, Fervent Freyja and 9 others
Hi everyone -- Marcus's son here. Thank you all for the love and warmth here in this thread.

To answer the question about "what happened", it was esophagus cancer -- we found out about it in September, but by that point it was advanced to a level where not much could be done. We tried anyway -- chemo, radiation, etc. But, well...

I know he cared a whole lot about all of you guys. When I would see him or talk to him on the phone, he would often update me on what was going on here on PF, and how he was starting a poll or posting a summary of various papers or whatever else he would do on a regular basis. I empathized with how he felt about PF, since my generation grew up with the internet and I thought it was wonderful to see him bonding as deeply with you guys as I've bonded with the online communities I'm part of.

You guys rock. Hugs to you all.

• Love
Likes Astronuc, MTd2, Monsterboy and 44 others
tamwuff said:
Hi everyone -- Marcus's son here. Thank you all for the love and warmth here in this thread.

To answer the question about "what happened", it was esophagus cancer -- we found out about it in September, but by that point it was advanced to a level where not much could be done. We tried anyway -- chemo, radiation, etc. But, well...

I know he cared a whole lot about all of you guys. When I would see him or talk to him on the phone, he would often update me on what was going on here on PF, and how he was starting a poll or posting a summary of various papers or whatever else he would do on a regular basis. I empathized with how he felt about PF, since my generation grew up with the internet and I thought it was wonderful to see him bonding as deeply with you guys as I've bonded with the online communities I'm part of.

That's sad to hear. Your father sounds like a good man. RIP Marcus

Likes 1oldman2, vanhees71, Evo and 1 other person
I always found Marcus's posts very helpful. Even though I never got to know him personally, I feel as thought I have lost a friend.

Likes 1oldman2, vanhees71, Yashbhatt and 3 others
Oh dear. I didn't know.
Good bye Marcus. You've helped me so much in this forum. May you find peace on you next journey.

Likes 1oldman2, vanhees71, Drakkith and 2 others
tamwuff said:
I know he cared a whole lot about all of you guys. When I would see him or talk to him on the phone, he would often update me on what was going on here on PF, and how he was starting a poll or posting a summary of various papers or whatever else he would do on a regular basis.

Thank you very much for the update @tamwuff, my deepest condolences.

This makes me tear up. Dissolves the disconnect we suffer from being an internet community. Shows how much real life impact we really have on each other that we don't even know about.

Likes Monsterboy, chasrob, russ_watters and 13 others
Dear @tamwuff
My deepest condolence for you. Marcus had helped not just this forum, but many members here learning science and increase their knowledge and their curiosity.
And everytime many other and I learn science and read Marcus' post, Marcus' spirit will still alive. Now and ever.

Likes 1oldman2, Greg Bernhardt, vanhees71 and 1 other person
tamwuff said:

My deepest sympathies for you and your family. Your father was an extraordinary man. You have a lot to be proud of.

Likes 1oldman2, Fervent Freyja, Astronuc and 5 others
I'm so sad hearing this :oldcry:. He was a legend here.

tamwuff said:

My sympathies, tamwuff, and condolences to you and all Marcus's loved ones.

Likes 1oldman2, Greg Bernhardt, vanhees71 and 4 others
That neither of us is an island never rang truer than today. We've lost the perfect educator, as willing to share his knowledge as he was selfless.

Likes Monsterboy, 1oldman2, Jimster41 and 5 others
Thank tamwuff for the update. My condolences to you and your family. I am very glad to have known marcus through PF.

BTW, marcus, if by any chance you are getting to ask God about whether LQG is right, do drop us a hint. Though of course not sure whether that answer would necessarily be right (going by the famous story with Pauli) http://math.bu.edu/people/jeffs/joke.html :oldtongue:

Likes Larry Gopnik, 1oldman2, blue_leaf77 and 5 others
This is sad...This is shocking!:cry::cry::cry:
I've always imagined him as an enthusiastic kid who is amazed with all the cool toys he's playing with. When you read his scientific posts, you really could feel all the excitement and amazement he had about science. He was great! This is a big loss!:cry::cry::cry:

I don't know what else to say.

R.I.P. dear Marcus!

Likes Monsterboy, 1oldman2, Evo and 6 others
I cannot imagine PF in general or BTSM in particular without Marcus. He and bcrowell were my first PF friends, big part of what kept me here. Nothing I can say would do justice to the loss :oldcry::oldcry::oldcry::oldcry:

Likes 1oldman2, Astronuc, dlgoff and 3 others
Condolences.

Likes 1oldman2, Evo and Greg Bernhardt
I am sad that I never got to interact with him since my understanding of relativity is so weak.

@tamwuff you lost a great friend and an even greater dad. My heart goes out to you. Take care.

Likes Monsterboy, 1oldman2, Astronuc and 2 others
Sad to hear Marcus passed away. I think he was an example of friendliness and willingness to explain. @ Tamwuff: wish you all the strength you need for the time to come!

Likes 1oldman2, Astronuc, Evo and 1 other person
<h2>1. Who is Marcus and what is his story?</h2><p>Marcus is a fictional character created to represent a scientist who is passionate about both giving back to the community and studying quantum gravity. His story follows his journey through his career as a scientist and his dedication to making a positive impact in the world.</p><h2>2. What is quantum gravity and why is it important?</h2><p>Quantum gravity is a field of physics that seeks to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is important because it could potentially provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and help solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe.</p><h2>3. How does Marcus balance his passion for science with his desire to give back?</h2><p>Marcus believes that his scientific knowledge and skills can be used to make a positive impact in the world. He actively seeks out opportunities to use his expertise to help others, whether it's through volunteering, mentoring, or conducting research that has practical applications for society.</p><h2>4. What inspired you to write about Marcus and his life?</h2><p>As a scientist myself, I have always been fascinated by the intersection of science and philanthropy. I wanted to create a character that embodies the values of using one's talents for the greater good and showcase the potential impact that scientists can have on society.</p><h2>5. Is "Marcus: A Life of Giving & Quantum-Gravity Enthusiasm" based on a real person?</h2><p>No, Marcus is a fictional character. However, his story is inspired by the countless scientists and researchers who are passionate about their work and making a positive difference in the world through their contributions to science and philanthropy.</p>

1. Who is Marcus and what is his story?

Marcus is a fictional character created to represent a scientist who is passionate about both giving back to the community and studying quantum gravity. His story follows his journey through his career as a scientist and his dedication to making a positive impact in the world.

2. What is quantum gravity and why is it important?

Quantum gravity is a field of physics that seeks to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is important because it could potentially provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and help solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe.

3. How does Marcus balance his passion for science with his desire to give back?

Marcus believes that his scientific knowledge and skills can be used to make a positive impact in the world. He actively seeks out opportunities to use his expertise to help others, whether it's through volunteering, mentoring, or conducting research that has practical applications for society.

4. What inspired you to write about Marcus and his life?

As a scientist myself, I have always been fascinated by the intersection of science and philanthropy. I wanted to create a character that embodies the values of using one's talents for the greater good and showcase the potential impact that scientists can have on society.

5. Is "Marcus: A Life of Giving & Quantum-Gravity Enthusiasm" based on a real person?

No, Marcus is a fictional character. However, his story is inspired by the countless scientists and researchers who are passionate about their work and making a positive difference in the world through their contributions to science and philanthropy.