Marilyn Monroe: Iconic Symbol of America

• Thread starter wrobel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, Marilyn Monroe was a Hollywood actress who became a sex symbol and first Playboy centerfold. She was also known to have a close association with President Kennedy. She died young due to an over dose, which helped to immortalize her.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
long I wanted to ask someone from the Americans. What was Marilyn Monroe for America? She was beautiful but not the most beautiful one among the American actresses. She also was not most talented. So why did the whole nation go mad from her? How she became one of the symbols of USA?

Physics news on Phys.org
That was before my time. My understanding is that she was a so-so actress who was beautiful, became a sex symbol, and did the very first Playboy centerfold. She was also known to have a close association with President Kennedy. She died young due to an over dose, which helped to immortalize her.

Apparently she captured the hearts of many young men. The Playboy photo probably cemented that legend. An old friend of mine had that centerfold on his garage wall 25 years later.

Likes Pepper Mint
I think her appeal was obvious: she exuded sexuality without seeming to be aware she was exuding it. The characters she played seemed to have no idea of the powerful effect they were having on the men in the scene. She strongly and simultaneously appealed to two male drives: to seduce and yet also to protect from harm. The fact those two things are nearly mutually exclusive, just made the hook dig in all that deeper. She put men in a position where they simultaneously wanted to be her angel and her devil.

Likes Pepper Mint, Evo and phinds
zoobyshoe said:
I think her appeal was obvious: she exuded sexuality without seeming to be aware she was exuding it. The characters she played seemed to have no idea of the powerful effect they were having on the men in the scene. She strongly and simultaneously appealed to two male drives: to seduce and yet also to protect from harm. The fact those two things are nearly mutually exclusive, just made the hook dig in all that deeper. She put men in a position where they simultaneously wanted to be her angel and her devil.
Very well said.

She will never be forgotten. :oldcool:

zoobyshoe said:
and yet also to protect from harm.

How did she convey or exude this and where did you get this? I don't think anyone was thinking of their mother.

Ivan Seeking said:
How did she convey or exude this and where did you get this? I don't think anyone was thinking of their mother.
I think if that's something you don't get emotionally, no explanation is ever going to really get you there.

maybe you could ask yourself why you are asking this question. obviously she interests you in some way. that might answer your question.

I remember her death being in the news. But I was young and don't remember much else.
Ivan Seeking said:
My understanding is that she was a so-so actress...
That is true, but I remember watching one of her movies many decades ago, I think it was "The Misfits", where I was a little surprised at the quality of her acting. That was one of her later movies though, maybe her last one, I'm not sure.

Ivan Seeking said:
zoobyshoe said:
and yet also to protect from harm
You're having some kind of reading comprehension issue, Ivan. Here's the whole sentence again:
zoobyshoe said:
She strongly and simultaneously appealed to two male drives: to seduce and yet also to protect from harm.
I'm saying Marilyn caused men to want to simultaneously, 1.) seduce her, but also, 2.) protect her from harm. I am not saying she wanted to protect them from harm, as you seem to think I said.

mathwonk said:
maybe you could ask yourself why you are asking this question. obviously she interests you in some way. that might answer your question.
She interests me as a cultural phenomenon, Dr. Freud.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

1. Who was Marilyn Monroe?

Marilyn Monroe was a Hollywood actress, model, and singer who rose to fame in the 1950s. She is known for her iconic beauty, glamour, and sex appeal.

2. What made Marilyn Monroe an iconic symbol of America?

Marilyn Monroe became an iconic symbol of America due to her embodiment of the American dream and her representation of beauty, femininity, and sexuality in American culture. She also became a symbol of the changing times and attitudes towards women in the 1950s.

3. Why is Marilyn Monroe still relevant today?

Marilyn Monroe's legacy and influence have continued to thrive even after her death. She remains a timeless icon and her image is still widely used in popular culture, fashion, and art. Additionally, her personal struggles and mysterious death have added to her enduring fascination and appeal.

4. How did Marilyn Monroe impact American society?

Marilyn Monroe challenged traditional gender roles and societal expectations for women through her career and personal life. She also brought attention to important social issues, such as mental health and sexual harassment in the entertainment industry.

5. What are some misconceptions about Marilyn Monroe?

One of the most common misconceptions about Marilyn Monroe is that she was not intelligent. In reality, she was a voracious reader and had a deep interest in literature and philosophy. Another misconception is that she was just a sex symbol, when in fact she was a talented actress and singer who worked hard to achieve success in her career.