Mason-Weaver equation and time dependend solutions

• Thread starter Rosengrip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for guidance on understanding the Mason-Weaver concentration equation and its application in describing the sedimentation of coffee particles in a cylindrical vessel. The requester is looking for a relation between concentration and time, as well as approximate values for constants in the equation. The suggestion of using the concept of settling velocity, which is dependent on particle size, density difference, and fluid viscosity, is also mentioned.
Rosengrip
Hello,

I need your help or rather guidance in relation to Mason-Weaver concentration equation. I would like to learn more on that matter because I need to describe a specific problem with it (sedimentation of coffee particles in a cylindrical vessel).

I can qualitatively describe how concentration changes with respect to height in vessel (exponent function), but what I would need is a relation to how concentration changes with respect to time on a fixed height and approx. values of different constants that take place in the equation.

All the material I got from the internet is from Wikipedia page, I can't find any good examples to point me in the right direction, so I came asking here.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The concept of "settling velocity", the terminal velocity of a particle in a medium exhibiting non-zero bouyancy (either positive or negative), might be useful here.
Terminal velocity is dependent on the size (radius) of the particle, the difference in density, and the viscosity of the fluid.

What is the Mason-Weaver equation?

The Mason-Weaver equation is a mathematical model used to describe the time-dependent behavior of a solution in a reactor. It takes into account the rate of change of concentration of a species in the solution as well as the rate of reaction.

How is the Mason-Weaver equation derived?

The Mason-Weaver equation is derived from the mass balance equations for a batch reactor, assuming that the rate of reaction is first-order with respect to the concentration of the species of interest.

What are the assumptions made in the Mason-Weaver equation?

The Mason-Weaver equation assumes that the reactor is well-mixed, the reaction rate is constant, and there is no mass transfer between the solution and its surroundings.

What are the applications of the Mason-Weaver equation?

The Mason-Weaver equation is commonly used in chemical engineering to model the behavior of various chemical reactions in reactors. It can also be used in other fields such as environmental science and biochemistry to study the kinetics of reactions.

How is the Mason-Weaver equation solved?

The Mason-Weaver equation can be solved using numerical methods or analytical techniques, depending on the complexity of the system. Some common techniques include the method of successive approximations and Laplace transforms.