Mass attached to a horizontal spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle with a mass of 0.210kg attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant of 0.84 N/m. The particle has a maximum speed of 5m/s and is moving to the left at t=0. The equation of motion for the particle's position as a function of time is determined using the equations F = -kx and F = ma, resulting in the equation 5/2Sin(2t+pi).
pvpkillerx
A particle with a mass of 0.210kg is attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant of 0.84 N/m. At the moment t=0, the particle has its maximum speed of 5m/s and is moving to the left. (Assume that the positive direction is to the right.)

Determine the particle's equation of motion, specifying its position as a function of time (use the following as necessary: t)

F = -kx
F = ma

What I did was:
-0.84x = 0.210a
-0.84x = 0.210[(v - 5)/t)]
-0.84x = 0.210[(x/t - 5)/t]

I still can't isolate for x, and i don't know if what i am doing is right. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm, i figured it out, its 5/2Sin(2t+pi)

1. What is a mass attached to a horizontal spring?

A mass attached to a horizontal spring is a system in which a spring is fixed to a horizontal surface and a mass is attached to the end of the spring. The mass can move back and forth on the surface due to the elastic force of the spring.

2. What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to a mass attached to a horizontal spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. In the case of a mass attached to a horizontal spring, as the mass moves away from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force to bring it back to equilibrium, following Hooke's Law.

3. What factors affect the motion of a mass attached to a horizontal spring?

The motion of a mass attached to a horizontal spring is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. The mass and stiffness determine the period of the oscillations, while the amplitude and frequency determine the range and speed of the motion.

4. What is the equilibrium position of a mass attached to a horizontal spring?

The equilibrium position of a mass attached to a horizontal spring is the position at which the spring is neither stretched nor compressed and the mass is at rest. This is the position where the force of the spring is equal to the force of gravity on the mass.

5. How is the energy of a mass attached to a horizontal spring related to its motion?

The energy of a mass attached to a horizontal spring is constantly changing between potential energy (stored in the spring) and kinetic energy (due to the motion of the mass). At the equilibrium position, the energy is entirely potential, while at the maximum displacement, the energy is entirely kinetic. The total energy of the system remains constant, but it is constantly being converted between these two forms.