Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass-dominated vs. radiation-dominated.

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    I have a simple question:
    What does it mean that the universe is mass-dominated or radiation-dominated?
    I cant find the answer anywhere on the internet. But i kind of think that it means that the energy-density of the universe is either dominated by the energy from mass or radiation. Is this correct? Thanks alot.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2
    Yes, that's correct.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    Thanks!

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4
    If you call [tex]a[/tex] the expansion factor, the energy density of the radiation goes as [tex]\rho_{rad}\propto a^{-4}[/tex], while for the matter you have [tex]\rho_{mat}\propto a^{-3}[/tex]. If you plot logarithmically these quantities, you will see that at a certain [tex]a_{eq}[/tex] the two densities will be equal: there it is the equivalence epoch. Before equivalence the radiation energy is greater that the matter energy, so you talk about "radiation-dominated era". For [tex]a>a_{eq}[/tex], you have the matter-dominated era.

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5
    And this means because of Hubbles law, v=Hr, you can say that a [tex]\propto[/tex] r? Since the expansion factor is proportional to the speed that objects move from each other in space?

7. Nov 9, 2009 #6
    Not exactly, since in cosmology, H(t) is defined as (da/dt)/a (sort of like your v/r).

Hubble's law is really just a local observation of the universe expanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook