Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass moving through Space/Time = Gravity?

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    Hello, I've wondered about this idea before, and thought I would put this together and get some opinions.

When it comes to electricity and magnetism, electricity can generate magnetism, and a moving magnet can generate an electric current.

When it comes to mass, gravity, and space/time, has there been a theory put forth were a mass moving through space/time will generate gravity? And, I suppose, would this mean the generation of gravity (if we could do that) would result in the existence of mass?

To me, it's a real puzzle as to just exactly how gravity is generated. It just seems like an odd characteristic of our universe that gravity is ever-present, constant, and everywhere evenly. When I say evenly, I'm referring to the fundamental bits and not the variations involved with the size collection of mass.

Thanks for reading the post.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2
    According to general theory of relativity, a mass or even any form of energy 'generates' gravitation , to use your words. Gravitation is viewd as curvature of spacetime dependent on the energy distribution in spacetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook