Mass of a planet given wavelength of an orbiting craft?

In summary, we are given the period and the observed variation in wavelength of a spacecraft in a circular orbit around a distant planet. By using the Doppler effect formula, we can calculate the orbital velocity to be 31 km/s. To calculate the mass of the planet, we need to use the formula M = rv^2/G, but we also need to know the true wavelength, which is not given. Additionally, the change in wavelength should be calculated as the difference between the maximum and minimum wavelengths, not just the difference between the observed and true wavelengths.
burnout_128
Problem:
Suppose a spacecraft is in a circular orbit about a distant planet. The spacecraft emits a continuous radio signal with a wavelength of 6 m. You observe the signal's wavelength to vary between 5:99969 m and 6:00031 m; the period of variation (i.e., the full period of the signal) is 5 hours. Calculate the mass of the planet. Assume that you are located in the plane of the spacecraft 's orbit. It may help to know that the circumference of a circle with radius a is 2[tex]\pi[/tex]a, and to recall that speed equals distance divided by time.

I'm pretty sure I have to use the Doppler effect in some way because I'm given wavelengths but I am unsure how to use it. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the velocity of the orbit.
You know the period of the orbit.
You therefore know the radius of the oribit.
You therefore know the centripetal force, and therefore the gravitational force.

Vanadium 50 said:
You know the velocity of the orbit.
You know the period of the orbit.
You therefore know the radius of the oribit.
You therefore know the centripetal force, and therefore the gravitational force.

By using this formula: (change in wavelength / true wavelength) x speed of light
= ( (6.00031-5.99969) / 6) x 300000
= 31 km/s <--Is this the orbital velocity?
What other formulas are needed? M = rv2/G ?

burnout_128 said:
By using this formula: (change in wavelength / true wavelength) x speed of light
= ( (6.00031-5.99969) / 6) x 300000
= 31 km/s <--Is this the orbital velocity?
What other formulas are needed? M = rv2/G ?

What makes you think the true wavelength is 6m (I'm not saying you are incorrect, I'm just saying you should provide a justification for this, since it is not a given quantity.)?

And isn't the "change in wavelength" the maximum (or minimum) minus the true wavelength (not max minus min)? Remember, when the craft is moving directly towards/away from you, you expect to observe the minimum/maximum wavelength.

1. What is the mass of a planet?

The mass of a planet refers to the amount of matter it contains. It is usually measured in kilograms (kg) or Earth masses (M), which is equivalent to 5.97 x 1024 kg. The mass of a planet is an important factor in determining its gravitational pull and the orbits of objects around it.

2. How can the mass of a planet be calculated?

The mass of a planet can be calculated using the formula M = v2r / G, where M is the mass of the planet, v is the orbital velocity of an object around the planet, r is the distance between the object and the planet's center, and G is the gravitational constant. This formula is known as Newton's form of Kepler's third law.

3. What is the relationship between the wavelength of an orbiting craft and the mass of a planet?

The wavelength of an orbiting craft is directly related to the mass of a planet. According to Kepler's third law, the orbital period (and therefore, the wavelength) of an object is proportional to the square root of the planet's mass. This means that if the mass of a planet increases, the wavelength of an orbiting craft will also increase.

4. How does the mass of a planet affect the orbit of an orbiting craft?

The mass of a planet has a significant influence on the orbit of an orbiting craft. The greater the mass of the planet, the stronger its gravitational pull will be, causing the orbiting craft to move at a higher velocity and a longer wavelength. A more massive planet will also have a greater influence on the orbiting craft's trajectory, causing it to deviate from a perfect circular orbit.

5. Can the mass of a planet be determined by observing the wavelength of an orbiting craft?

Yes, the mass of a planet can be estimated by observing the wavelength of an orbiting craft. By measuring the orbital period and distance of the orbiting craft, scientists can use the formula M = v2r / G to calculate the mass of the planet. However, this method may not be entirely accurate due to potential errors in the measurements and other factors that can affect the orbit of the craft.