Mass of Object Pulled by 40 HP Engine: 1,350 Kg

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pao44445
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Pao44445
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the mass of the object which is being pulled by 40 hp engine with a constant speed 15 m/s (μ = 0.15)

Homework Equations


P=Fv
F=μN

The Attempt at a Solution


I got about 1,350 Kg for the answer but I don't know why P=Fv( It is just included in the problem )
First, I tried to figure how much force do I need to pull this object with P=Fv.
29,840 J/s=F(15 m/s)
I got F about 1940 N
Now, I knew that I need 1940 N to pull this object, I use ΣF(system)=F(being pull)-F(friction)
1940 N = (m)(a)-(μ)(m)(g)
1940 N = 0-(0.15)(m)(9.8)
m≈-1,350 Kg but a mass cannot be negative so the answer is 1,350 Kg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pao44445 said:

Homework Statement


Find the mass of the object which is being pulled by 40 hp engine with a constant speed 15 m/s (μ = 0.15)

Homework Equations


P=Fv
F=μN

The Attempt at a Solution


I got about 1,350 Kg for the answer but I don't know why P=Fv( It is just included in the problem )
First, I tried to figure how much force do I need to pull this object with P=Fv.
29,840 J/s=F(15 m/s)
I got F about 1940 N
Now, I knew that I need 1940 N to pull this object, I use ΣF(system)=F(being pull)-F(friction)
1940 N = (m)(a)-(μ)(m)(g)
1940 N = 0-(0.15)(m)(9.8)
m≈-1,350 Kg but a mass cannot be negative so the answer is 1,350 Kg
You should draw a diagram for this problem.

The tension in the rope which is doing the pulling is counteracted by friction. Your F(being pull) ≠ (m)(a), since a = 0 yet F(being pull) must be > 0.