Mass of Star Using Celestial Mechanics

In summary: So if the planet was further from the star, its barycentre would be further from the star.In summary, a planet has been discovered orbiting the star HD 168443. The planet's mass is negligible compared to that of the star, so parts a and b are reasonable. The equation for calculating the mass of the star can be found using Kepler's laws. The maximum distance of the barycentre from the centre of the star is Rmax=a(1-e) and Rmin=a(1+e).
~Sam~

Homework Statement

A planet of mass 8.01 MJ (MJ = Jupiter's mass is known) has been discovered orbiting the star HD 168443 . HD 168443 is an G6 IV star of L = 2.09 Lsun and T = 5300 K about 37.9 pc from the Earth in the constellation Serpens Cauda. The planet, so far known only as HD 168443b, was discovered by the radial velocity method, in which the motion of the star about the star-planet barycentre causes a cyclic Doppler shift. (The planet is too close to the star to be visible, so only the motion of the star can be found.)
The period, semimajor axis and eccentricity the orbit of HD 168443b are, respectively, 58.1 days, 0.29 AU, and 0.530. Calculate the following quantities. Because this is a planet, assume in parts a and b that its mass is negligible compared to that of the star.

a. Apastron and periastron distances (equivalent to aphelion and perihelion distances for planets orbiting the Sun.
b. Mass of the star, HD 168443, in solar masses.

c.Calculate the ratio of the planet's mass to the star's mass. Is the assumption of negligible planetary mass in parts a and b reasonable?
d. The radius of the star HD 168443, in RSun.
e. What is the maximum distance of the barycentre from the centre of HD 168443, in RSun? Is the barycentre inside or outside the star?

Homework Equations

That's what I'm trying to figure out..

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a using Rmax=a(1-e) and Rmin=a(1+e) but I'm not sure what equation to use to find the mass of the star...I have a feeling it might involve Kepler's laws.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try find an equation that relates the information you are given with the unknown G*Mstar. Hint: you need to use the orbital period.

Yeah I got parts a-d..But now I'm stuck on part e...

The barycentre in this case simply is the centre of mass of the planet and the star.

1. How is the mass of a star calculated using celestial mechanics?

The mass of a star can be calculated by observing its orbit around another celestial object, such as a planet or another star. By measuring the orbital period and distance, the mass can be calculated using Newton's law of gravitation.

2. Can the mass of a star change over time?

Yes, the mass of a star can change over time due to nuclear reactions happening in its core. As a star burns through its fuel, its mass decreases until it eventually dies and loses most of its mass through supernova explosions.

3. How accurate are the mass measurements of stars using celestial mechanics?

The accuracy of mass measurements using celestial mechanics depends on the precision of the observations and the assumptions made in the calculations. In general, the mass of a star can be determined to within a few percent of its actual value.

4. Can celestial mechanics be used to measure the mass of all types of stars?

Celestial mechanics can be used to measure the mass of most stars, but it may not be as accurate for very large or very small stars. For example, the mass of a pulsar or a white dwarf may be more accurately determined using other methods.

5. How does the mass of a star affect its lifespan?

The mass of a star is a key factor in determining its lifespan. Generally, the more massive a star is, the shorter its lifespan will be. This is because more massive stars have higher rates of nuclear fusion, using up their fuel at a faster rate and leading to a shorter lifespan.