Mass of tobacco in a 25 mL aliquot from a 100 mL solution

  • Thread starter Thread starter waqaszeb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
waqaszeb
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hello,

If I get 2.0830 grams of tobacco and add 1 gram of barium hyrdoxide to it. Mix it in 100 mL of chloroform:toluene mixture, I essential have a 100 mL solution right? Now I take a 25 mL aliquote from that? what will be the mass in grams of tobaco in that 25 mL sample?

I thought simply 2.0830 x (25ml/100 mL) would do but my T.A. asked me to recalculate that because I did it wrong.

Thanks.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you add these things to 100 mL of the solvent, you would have slightly more than 100 mL, so taking 25 mL would yield sample that is below 1/4 of the total. To be sure you can do it this way you would have to fill up to 100 mL with solvent.

I don't see a way to correctly estimate the sample mass with the data given, as the final volume is not known and impossible to calculate.