1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mass-spring system on an incline

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spring is mounted at an angle of = 38 on a frictionless incline as illustrated in the figure below. The spring is compressed to 15 cm where it is allowed to propel a mass of 5.4 kg up the incline. If the spring constant is 565 N/m, how fast is the mass moving when leaves the spring? To what maximum distance from the starting point will the mass rise up the incline?

2. Relevant equations
    PE=1/2kx^2 and KE=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly don't know. I tried using PE=KE with the formulas above, and then tried adding in the cos(38) to the KE side, but I could not get the correct answer. Help?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

Hi, im no expert ,but i think you solve for v like you did with PE=KE, and that equla that initial velocity of the mass leaving the spring. After you get that, you use the incline formula for acceleration: ma = -mgsin38, so, a = -gsin38. Then The object reaches a max height so V2 = 0: V2^2 = V1^2 + 2ax, and solve for x!

Hope this helps:)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook