What is the standard unit of mass and why is it defined in terms of an artifact?

In summary, the standard unit of mass is defined as the mass of a cylinder of platinum and iridium. The unit has been defined in terms of an artifact that is not likely to change over time.
Logical Dog
The standard unit of mass is defined to be "equal to the mass" of a cyliner of platinum and iridium in france. I have always wondered what this means? Why are all sources saying mass is defined in terms of mass? What were the steps taken to decide this unit?

I know that base quantities have to be defined some way at least, but in particular I am not able to get my head around this definition, I understand the ones for distance and other units. I know from mechanics tuahgt in school that mass is a measure of an objects inertia (and inertia is an inherent property in all objects). So, just like we cannot define words using the same word it confuses me when people say the standard unit of mass is the mass of the cylinder in France. What does the bolded part actually refer to?

Physics news on Phys.org
The concept of mass is not defined in terms of mass, but the unit by which we measure against is.

Likes Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
The standard unit of mass is defined to be "equal to the mass" of a cyliner of platinum and iridium in france. I have always wondered what this means? Why are all sources saying mass is defined in terms of mass? What were the steps taken to decide this unit?

I know that base quantities have to be defined some way at least, but in particular I am not able to get my head around this definition, I understand the ones for distance and other units. I know from mechanics tuahgt in school that mass is a measure of an objects inertia (and inertia is an inherent property in all objects). So, just like we cannot define words using the same word it confuses me when people say the standard unit of mass is the mass of the cylinder in France. What does the bolded part actually refer to?

The video in the link does a pretty good job at explaining how the base si unit of mass (kg) is currently defined, and the issues that come with the current method

Likes Logical Dog
To back up what drakkith said, we don't need an artifact to define what we mean by length or distance. However not so very long ago the UNIT of length, the meter, was defined as the length of a particular bar of platinum-iridium kept in the same place as the standard kilogram.

Science hates this kind of definition of units by artifact because the artifact changes over time. Material erodes away by handling, or the properties change by chemical reaction with the atmosphere. Minimizing chemical reactions is the reason for the platinum by the way. The standards organizations have been working to define the base units in terms of immutable physical quantities for the entire history of science. The kilogram is the last unit based on an artifact, and that will change very soon. The change is already well along in the process.

1. What is the definition of a mass standard unit?

A mass standard unit is a unit of measurement used to quantify the amount of matter in an object. It is often represented by the symbol "kg" (kilogram) in the metric system and "lb" (pound) in the imperial system.

2. How is the mass standard unit defined in the metric system?

In the metric system, the mass standard unit is defined as the amount of matter in a specific volume of pure water at a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius. This unit is known as the kilogram (kg) and is the base unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI).

3. What is the relationship between mass and weight in the context of mass standard units?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object's mass. The mass standard unit is used to measure an object's mass, while weight is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds.

4. How is the mass standard unit defined in the imperial system?

In the imperial system, the mass standard unit is defined as the amount of matter in a specific volume of water at a temperature of 62 degrees Fahrenheit and a pressure of 1 atmosphere. This unit is known as the pound (lb) and is the base unit of mass in the imperial system.

5. Why is it important to have a standardized unit for measuring mass?

Having a standardized unit for measuring mass allows for consistency and accuracy in scientific experiments and everyday measurements. It also allows for easier communication and comparison of data between different individuals and countries. Without a mass standard unit, there would be confusion and discrepancies in measurements, hindering progress in scientific research and advancements in various industries.