1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the kilogram standard mass changing?

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    from the current Physicsworld newsletter:

???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2
    Much to my surprise, wikipedia has quite a bit on this subject!!

But:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram#Stability_of_the_international_prototype_kilogram

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3

Maroc

Gold Member

This can change so many things...

5. Sep 23, 2011 #4
    I heard this one before, as well as several other articles related to various constants that were thought to be reliable showing slight changes over time. Wish I kept a link of those articles. One was the rate of atomic decay not being consistent ,slowing down faster in the past than now today by a small amount, the other was light speed being faster in the past than now today. Neither article has been able to understand why and therefore have not been able to prove it conclusively. Those articles I read around one year ago haven't seen anything since on either article. may or may not be related

6. Sep 23, 2011 #5
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. Sep 23, 2011 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The reason for the change is that it is a better idea to use something that is constant to the best of our measurements instead of something that is known to vary. The other measurements, such as the second and the meter are all based on constants that don't change according to our current understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook