Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Massive galaxy cluster could upend theory of universe evolut

1. Dec 22, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's an admittedly [by the researchers themselves] unsubstantiated finding.

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

According to the video, the cluster is 3.3 billion years old as we see it today

And super clusters are up to 1000 trillion solar masses

I don't understand what is so uniquely out of the ordinary

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem of explaining a 4 x 10^14 Solar Mass cluster forming only 800 million years after BB.

An age problem?

Garth

7. Jan 10, 2015 #6
    The article states 0.8 Gyr

The video states 3.3 Gyr

Which is it?

Perhaps the cluster formed about 2.5 Gyr after the big bang...

And evolved for another 0.8 Gyr...

Into the way we see it on the sky today?

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My bad - an age problem? No.
    From the arXiv paper Chandra deep observation of XDCP J0044.0-2033, a massive galaxy cluster at z>1.5
    The super-cluster is seen as it was 9.6Gyr ago. It was then 0.8Gyr old, so it formed 3.3Gyr after BB, 9.6+0.8+3.3=13.7, the age of the universe.

Note there was a high density of Intercluster medium (ICM) which had a total mass of (1.48±0.20)×1013M⊙ i.e. roughly 10% of the mass of the clusters in that central region with an iron abundance of ZFe = 0.41(+0.29−0.26) ZFe⊙ (nearly half Solar abundance)

As iron is the last element to be synthesised by nuclear fusion in stellar cores there may be a question of whether there had been enough time for this to be produced and then scattered into the inter-cluster medium.

Garth

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook