Master's of Math without a BS in Math?

• Thread starter Poker-face
  • Start date
Poker-face
Hi all. My question is- is it possible to do well in a Masters in Math Program even though I have not completed a BS in Math. Rutgers Camden has a Masters Program that I can get into as long as I have completed up to Calculus 3, and Linear Algebra. I am only in Calculus 2 now, but I was thinking about taking Calc 3 in the first Term This summer and Linear Algebra in the second term. So far Calc 1 and 2 have seemed pretty easy and I should have no problen getting an A in both courses. I am 32 years old so maturity is on my side. I am very disciplined and will work as hard as necessary to suceed. I am not naive and understand that will alone is not enough. My question is does anyone have an opinon if this is either a good idea or not. My other option would be to stay at the school I am at and complete my second bachelors of which would take me just as long as the Masters.

Thanks for any advice,

Ernie G

Answers and Replies

micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
What courses have you already taken?? And, what courses are you planning to take in your masters, or what courses do they provide??

I ask this because I've never heard of someone doing their masters with only knowledge about calculus and linear algebra... But maybe the masters your planning to take, has enough low-level courses...

Poker-face
What courses have you already taken?? And, what courses are you planning to take in your masters, or what courses do they provide??

I ask this because I've never heard of someone doing their masters with only knowledge about calculus and linear algebra... But maybe the masters your planning to take, has enough low-level courses...

By the time I enter I will have taken Calc 1,2,3 and Linear Algebra. Here is a copy of the program requirements.......

The minimum requirement to complete the track is to take the 6 required courses and 4 elective courses.

Pure Mathematics Course List:

Required Courses:

56:645:503 Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable I (3)
56:645:505 Analysis I (3)
56:645:508 Mathematical Reasoning (3)
56:645:531 Geometry (3)
56:645:549-550 Linear Algebra and Applications I,II (3,3)

Elective Courses:

56:645:504 Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable II (3)
56:645:506 Analysis II (3)
56:645:530 Manifolds (3)
56:645:532 Differential Geometry (3)
56:645:540 Computational Number Theory and Cryptography (3)
56:645:545 Topology (3)
56:645:551-552 Abstract Algebra I,II (3,3)
56:645:570 Special Topics in Pure Mathematics (3)
56:645:575 Qualitative Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations (3)
56:645:698 Independent Study in Pure Mathematics (3)
56:645:700 Thesis in Pure Mathematics (3)

Kevin_Axion
The Elective courses look like modules you'd take in a regular undergraduate degree.

micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I think this courses are doable for somebody with a knowledge of calculus and linear algebra. They look more like undergraduate courses than masters courses. But the courses may also be a bit more difficult than the corresponding undergraduate course.
Anyway, I don't think it will be hard for you to begin this master. So I'd say to go ahead.

I am a bit worried about the reputation of the school. I don't think it's normal to offer such a low-level courses in a masters degree...

Poker-face
I think this courses are doable for somebody with a knowledge of calculus and linear algebra. They look more like undergraduate courses than masters courses. But the courses may also be a bit more difficult than the corresponding undergraduate course.
Anyway, I don't think it will be hard for you to begin this master. So I'd say to go ahead.

I am a bit worried about the reputation of the school. I don't think it's normal to offer such a low-level courses in a masters degree...

Micromass,

Thanks for the advice. I agree it seems a little watered down, but I would have to think that it should hold some weight because Rutgers is Nationally Recognized school. I think I am going to go for it.

Ernie G

Suggested for: Master's of Math without a BS in Math?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies