1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Math Courses for Theoretical Physicist to be (Hopefully)

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    I am currently a sophomore majoring in physics in college. I also plan to major in math because I am very interested in theoretical physics. The math adviser that I spoke to could not give me much information on what math subjects are important for a career path in theoretical physics, so if anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2
    If your school has a graduate course or two on mathematical methods for physicists, those are of course good courses.

Otherwise, the real practical ones (of general use) are PDES, complex analysis and numerical methods. I even had a professor whos phd was in string theory who said his most useful course was numerical methods, so take that as you will.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook