1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math degree with some physics for engineering

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    I may want to go to graduate school for nuclear engineering or something physics related.
    Will I be ok if my degree is in math with a minor in physics, or should I finish my physics degree. Would it be pretty crucial or beneficial to finish my physics degree, how important is it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you have time to change your major, do it.

4. Dec 29, 2013 #3
    It's not necessary to have an engineering degree to go to grad school in engineering (obviously having an engineering degree is the ideal).

If you're almost done with your current degree I would finish that but find some way to take the introductory sequence of the sort of engineering you'd desire to do in grad school.

This is the personal experience of friends of mine, but I know one person who got her degree in math (minor in physics) and did her masters in EE focusing on fabrication and now works for a seminconductor manufacturer. I know people who did their undergrads in physics, did their masters in NE, and are now nuclear engineers for the navy.

I'm not saying things like this will happen to you, but it is possible to succeed at the grad level without the corresponding undergraduate degree.

5. Dec 29, 2013 #4
    "If you have time to change your major, do it."
    @ vanadium : Change to engineering or physics, Its too late for me to change to engineering.

6. Dec 29, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What do you mean by "too late"?

Graduate level education assumes that you have completed an undergraduate degree or equivalent. You are going to have to take those classes some time.

7. Dec 29, 2013 #6
    ok, When some people go to graduate school into say nuclear engineering from a math physics background they have them back fill some of the classes when they get into their program. Should I finish my physics degree or will I be ok with a math degree and a minor in physics. The school I am at now does not offer nuclear engineering so I could finish my math degree and then go to another school to do nuclear engineering. What is the best thing to do.

8. Dec 29, 2013 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The best thing to do is to talk to your academic advisor. He knows what you have taken and what is available. We don't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook