Math degree with some physics for engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of going to graduate school for nuclear engineering or physics with a degree in math and a minor in physics. It is not necessary to have an engineering degree to go to grad school in engineering, but it is ideal. If it is too late to change to engineering, it is recommended to finish the current degree and take introductory engineering courses. Success at the graduate level without a corresponding undergraduate degree is possible. It is best to talk to an academic advisor for specific advice on courses and options.
cragar
I may want to go to graduate school for nuclear engineering or something physics related.
Will I be ok if my degree is in math with a minor in physics, or should I finish my physics degree. Would it be pretty crucial or beneficial to finish my physics degree, how important is it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have time to change your major, do it.

cragar said:
I may want to go to graduate school for nuclear engineering or something physics related.
Will I be ok if my degree is in math with a minor in physics, or should I finish my physics degree. Would it be pretty crucial or beneficial to finish my physics degree, how important is it.

It's not necessary to have an engineering degree to go to grad school in engineering (obviously having an engineering degree is the ideal).

If you're almost done with your current degree I would finish that but find some way to take the introductory sequence of the sort of engineering you'd desire to do in grad school.

This is the personal experience of friends of mine, but I know one person who got her degree in math (minor in physics) and did her masters in EE focusing on fabrication and now works for a seminconductor manufacturer. I know people who did their undergrads in physics, did their masters in NE, and are now nuclear engineers for the navy.

I'm not saying things like this will happen to you, but it is possible to succeed at the grad level without the corresponding undergraduate degree.

"If you have time to change your major, do it."
@ vanadium : Change to engineering or physics, Its too late for me to change to engineering.

What do you mean by "too late"?

Graduate level education assumes that you have completed an undergraduate degree or equivalent. You are going to have to take those classes some time.

ok, When some people go to graduate school into say nuclear engineering from a math physics background they have them back fill some of the classes when they get into their program. Should I finish my physics degree or will I be ok with a math degree and a minor in physics. The school I am at now does not offer nuclear engineering so I could finish my math degree and then go to another school to do nuclear engineering. What is the best thing to do.

cragar said:
What is the best thing to do.

The best thing to do is to talk to your academic advisor. He knows what you have taken and what is available. We don't.

1. What is a "math degree with some physics for engineering"?

A math degree with some physics for engineering is a degree program that combines elements of mathematics and physics to prepare students for careers in engineering. This degree typically includes coursework in calculus, linear algebra, mechanics, and other relevant subjects.

2. What kind of jobs can I get with a math degree with some physics for engineering?

Graduates of this degree program can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and more. Some specific job titles may include systems engineer, design engineer, or research scientist.

3. Is this degree program more focused on math or physics?

This degree program is designed to provide a balance between mathematics and physics. Students will gain a strong foundation in both subjects, with a focus on applying these concepts to real-world engineering problems.

4. Can I pursue graduate studies with a math degree with some physics for engineering?

Yes, many students who earn this degree go on to pursue graduate studies in engineering or other related fields. Some may also choose to pursue a graduate degree in mathematics or physics.

5. What skills will I gain from a math degree with some physics for engineering?

Students in this degree program will develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They will also gain a deep understanding of mathematical and physical principles, as well as the ability to apply these concepts to practical engineering problems.