Math Grad School, Gen Chem Grades

In summary, the individual is considering going to graduate school in math or applied math and is concerned about how their grades in a general chemistry course will affect their chances. They mention being in an honors sequence and receiving B's, but are unsure how much weight math grad schools will place on these grades. Other individuals share their experiences and reassure the individual that as long as they have a decent GPA and do well in their math courses, a B in general chemistry should not be a major concern for graduate school admissions.
zooxanthellae
Hi everybody. I'd like to go to graduate school in math or applied math. My question is how my grades in a gem chem course my factor into this. For scheduling reasons I'm in an honors sequence and looking at B's throughout since I'm not a chem major (taking the course fulfills requirements for the math major). I'm guessing that math grad schools will care more about how I do in math courses, but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
340 views and no replies? Is there anything odd/confusing about my question?

I wouldn't think they'd factor into it very much at all. As long as you have a half decent GPA and are willing to do the work. Unless your like trying to get into some prestige university, but even then its doubtful as they often look at other things besides grades.

Here's a reassuring anecdote: I got a B in general chemistry and made it into a couple of top 10 graduate math programs. I actually got plenty of B's as an undergraduate (I am terrible in liberal arts classes), but none of them were in math. So I don't think that you have much to worry about. Just try to get mostly A's in your math classes.

If anyone else wants to chime in, that's welcome. Right now I'm going to go ahead and assume that a B in gen chem, while not preferable, is not a big deal.

I got a B in physical chemistry and still got into graduate schools in chemistry. You're cool.

What is the importance of having good grades in general chemistry for math grad school?

Having good grades in general chemistry is important for math grad school because it demonstrates a strong foundation in fundamental chemistry concepts that are often applicable in higher level math courses. Admissions committees may also use general chemistry grades as an indicator of overall academic performance and potential success in graduate level courses.

How do I know if my general chemistry grades are competitive for math grad school?

It is important to research the admissions requirements for the math grad schools you are interested in to determine what GPA and grade requirements they have for general chemistry. Additionally, you can reach out to current students or faculty in the program to get an idea of the average general chemistry grades of admitted students.

What should I do if my general chemistry grades are not as strong as I would like them to be?

If your general chemistry grades are not as strong as you would like them to be, there are a few steps you can take. First, you can retake the course to improve your grade. You can also focus on excelling in other science and math courses to demonstrate your academic abilities. Additionally, you can highlight any relevant research or experience in your application to show your interest and proficiency in the subject matter.

Do math grad schools care more about overall GPA or specific grades in science courses?

This can vary depending on the program, but in general, math grad schools tend to place more emphasis on overall GPA rather than specific grades in science courses. However, having strong grades in science courses can still be beneficial and demonstrate your academic abilities in related fields.

Are there any resources available to help me improve my general chemistry grades for math grad school?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you improve your general chemistry grades. You can seek help from a tutor, attend office hours with your professor, join a study group, or utilize online resources such as practice problems and videos. Your university may also offer academic support services specifically for science courses.