1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Grad School, Gen Chem Grades

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody. I'd like to go to graduate school in math or applied math. My question is how my grades in a gem chem course my factor into this. For scheduling reasons I'm in an honors sequence and looking at B's throughout since I'm not a chem major (taking the course fulfills requirements for the math major). I'm guessing that math grad schools will care more about how I do in math courses, but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2
    340 views and no replies? Is there anything odd/confusing about my question?

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    I wouldn't think they'd factor into it very much at all. As long as you have a half decent GPA and are willing to do the work. Unless your like trying to get into some prestige university, but even then its doubtful as they often look at other things besides grades.

5. Mar 12, 2012 #4
    Here's a reassuring anecdote: I got a B in general chemistry and made it into a couple of top 10 graduate math programs. I actually got plenty of B's as an undergraduate (I am terrible in liberal arts classes), but none of them were in math. So I don't think that you have much to worry about. Just try to get mostly A's in your math classes.

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5
    If anyone else wants to chime in, that's welcome. Right now I'm going to go ahead and assume that a B in gen chem, while not preferable, is not a big deal.

7. Mar 12, 2012 #6
    I got a B in physical chemistry and still got into graduate schools in chemistry. You're cool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook