Math guidance for aspiring physicists/mathematicians

• Thread starter QMechanic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, the person is looking for a website similar to one they found for physics, but for math topics. They also ask about the field of fluid mechanics/hydrodynamics and if it falls under math or physics. They inquire about recommended books for learning more about this field and ask for a recommendation for a theory of functions book. The expert mentions that fluid mechanics/hydrodynamics is often incorporated into courses such as aerospace engineering and suggests looking at universities like MIT for courses in these subjects. They also provide links to a website with math book recommendations.
QMechanic
Hi,

I found this website particularly useful for enriching my sophomore physics coursework and looking up some topics that are beyond scope of undergrad physics core:

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~Gadda001/goodtheorist/gr.html

I wonder if there is anything like this for math? It's my second favorite field of study and I would like to be able to look up some more interesting concepts in sources more reliable and broad than wikipedia and faster than shuffling through all math books possible which as a sophomore I don't have many anyway.

Also, I was wondering if fluid mechanics/hydrodynamics is more of a field of study of math or physics? None department at my school offers any BS/MS courses in it and I have not heard much about it except when it was mentioned a few times in ODE/PDE/waves courses. What would be good books to learn about this field more?

Lastly, is this a good book to learn more about theory of functions or can you recommend anything better?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486662896/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fluid mechanics/hydrodynamics is often incorporated into other courses of study, like aerospace engineering or naval architecture. Schools which offer programs in aerospace engineering or ocean engineering offer courses in these fields, some of which are required for undergraduates, but probably more often for students enrolled in graduate study. Whether the FM/HM courses wind up in the Math department or the Physics department depends more on the organization of academics at a particular university. You should find plenty of courses offered in these subjects at universities like MIT, U. of Michigan, and the U. of California at Berkeley, among others.

1. What are the essential math courses needed for aspiring physicists and mathematicians?

The essential math courses for aspiring physicists and mathematicians include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and abstract algebra. These courses provide a strong foundation in the mathematical concepts needed for advanced physics and mathematics courses.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to excel in physics?

Yes, a strong mathematical background is necessary to excel in physics. Physics heavily relies on mathematical principles and equations to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. Without a strong understanding of mathematics, it can be difficult to fully comprehend and apply the concepts in physics.

3. Do I need to have advanced math skills to become a physicist or mathematician?

While advanced math skills are certainly beneficial, they are not necessarily required to become a physicist or mathematician. However, having a good understanding of basic and intermediate mathematical concepts is essential in order to build a strong foundation for more complex topics.

4. Is it important to practice problem-solving in math for aspiring physicists and mathematicians?

Yes, problem-solving is a crucial skill for both physicists and mathematicians. These fields require individuals to use critical thinking and analytical skills to solve complex problems. Practicing problem-solving in math can help aspiring physicists and mathematicians to develop and hone these skills.

5. Are there any online resources or study guides for math guidance for aspiring physicists and mathematicians?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides available for math guidance for aspiring physicists and mathematicians. Some popular resources include online courses, textbooks, and practice problems. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and cater to your specific needs.