1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math object that returns 0 at k=0, 1 at k>0?

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'm using summation notation (from k=0 to n) and would like a mathematical object to:

return 0 when k=0
    return 1 when k>0

I messed around with binomial coefficients but couldn't make it work. It's probably trivial, but I couldn't find it after much googling.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You could use a Green's function, or a Kronecker delta, but these are nonstandard functions. No smooth function will do what you want. Why do you need it?

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Definitely don't need anything smooth. I am trying to write out integration by parts to the nth derivative of the function g, and I am trying to sum up the boundary terms that pop out of higher n's. I want to be general enough to allow for n=0, which would mean there is no boundary terms and would need the sum to be killed off. Is there a simpler way to do it than:

kroenecker_delta(0,kroenecker_delta(k,0))

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was thinking of 1-kroenecker_delta(k,0)

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook