Summation for extended binomial coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing expressions for the coefficients in the expanded form of a polynomial without having to expand it manually. The suggestion is to use the multinomial theorem and simplify the index notation in order to find the coefficients. A starting point is given by considering 2^n=(1+1)^n and putting x=1 in the given formula.
Astudious
Is there a way of writing summation(s) to obtain the extended binomial coefficients?

i.e., Considering the expansion of [tex](1+x+x^2+x^3+...+x^N)^M[/tex]

can we write expressions (presumably involving summation and/or product notation) for the coefficients (on x^j in the expansion of the above, for each integer j from j=0 to j=NM, i.e. each of the NM+1 non-0 coefficients) without expanding the polynomial by hand?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, you can use the formula

##(x_{0}+\cdots +x_{N})^{M}=\sum_{\alpha_{0}+\ldots +\alpha_{N}=M}\frac{N!}{\alpha_{0}!\cdots \alpha_{N}! }x_{0}^{\alpha_{0}}\cdots x_{N}^{\alpha_{N}}##

now setting ##x_{i}=x^{i}## for every ##i=0,...,N## you obtain the expansion and you can see if it is possible to simplify the index notation in order to find the coefficients ...

I can at least start you in a direction that might take you where you want to go:

Consider [itex]
2^{n}=(1+1)^{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\begin{pmatrix}
n \\
k\\
\end{pmatrix}1^{n-k}1^{k}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\begin{pmatrix}
n \\
k\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]. Thus, putting x=1 in your formula would give you a start?

1. What is the definition of summation for extended binomial coefficients?

The summation for extended binomial coefficients is a mathematical formula used to calculate the sum of a series of extended binomial coefficients. It is written as Σ C(n,k) where n and k are positive integers and C(n,k) represents the extended binomial coefficient.

2. How is the summation for extended binomial coefficients calculated?

The summation for extended binomial coefficients is calculated by adding up the extended binomial coefficients for all values of k from 0 to n. This can be written as Σ C(n,k) = C(n,0) + C(n,1) + ... + C(n,n).

3. What is the purpose of using summation for extended binomial coefficients?

The purpose of using summation for extended binomial coefficients is to simplify the calculation of large binomial coefficients. It allows for a more efficient and organized way of calculating these coefficients, particularly when dealing with large values of n and k.

4. How is the summation for extended binomial coefficients related to Pascal's triangle?

The values of extended binomial coefficients can be represented graphically in Pascal's triangle. Each row in Pascal's triangle corresponds to a value of n, and the coefficients in that row correspond to the values of k. The summation for extended binomial coefficients can be written as the sum of a row in Pascal's triangle.

5. What are some real-life applications of summation for extended binomial coefficients?

Summation for extended binomial coefficients is used in various fields of science and mathematics, such as probability, statistics, and genetics. It can also be applied in engineering for calculating the probabilities of events occurring in a system with multiple components. In genetics, it is used to calculate the probability of a particular genetic trait being passed down through multiple generations.