1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Summation for extended binomial coefficients

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    Is there a way of writing summation(s) to obtain the extended binomial coefficients?

i.e., Considering the expansion of [tex](1+x+x^2+x^3+...+x^N)^M[/tex]

can we write expressions (presumably involving summation and/or product notation) for the coefficients (on x^j in the expansion of the above, for each integer j from j=0 to j=NM, i.e. each of the NM+1 non-0 coefficients) without expanding the polynomial by hand?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

4. Aug 2, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, you can use the formula

##(x_{0}+\cdots +x_{N})^{M}=\sum_{\alpha_{0}+\ldots +\alpha_{N}=M}\frac{N!}{\alpha_{0}!\cdots \alpha_{N}! }x_{0}^{\alpha_{0}}\cdots x_{N}^{\alpha_{N}}##

now setting ##x_{i}=x^{i}## for every ##i=0,...,N## you obtain the expansion and you can see if it is possible to simplify the index notation in order to find the coefficients ...

5. Aug 2, 2016 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

I can at least start you in a direction that might take you where you want to go:

Consider [itex]
    2^{n}=(1+1)^{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\begin{pmatrix}
    n \\
    k\\
    \end{pmatrix}1^{n-k}1^{k}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\begin{pmatrix}
    n \\
    k\\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex]. Thus, putting x=1 in your formula would give you a start?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted