Math Research Papers: Find Academic Work by Mathematicians

In summary, mathematicians' research papers are often referred to as papers, publications, or journal articles. While there is no single place on the web to find all the work done in math by all mathematicians, websites such as arXiv, MathSciNet, and zbMATH offer extensive coverage of both preprints and published papers. However, there may still be papers that are not accessible for free due to copyright restrictions.
pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
How do I search for math papers on web?
First of all, I want to know what research papers are called in Mathematicians' jargon.
Second, I want to know if there is a place on web where I can find all the work done in math by all the mathematicians. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
pairofstrings said:
Summary:: How do I search for math papers on web?

First of all, I want to know what research papers are called in Mathematicians' jargon.
Research papers. Journal articles. Publications.
Second, I want to know if there is a place on web where I can find all the work done in math by all the mathematicians. Thanks.
No. But arxiv.org has a lot of preprints which were later published. You can also find many historical documents: Newton, Gauß, Einstein, Noether, which have been scanned and published by some institutions.

To find a specific one you will need the original title. Wikipedia's list of references at the end of each article are a good starting point to search.

However, there is no catalog that lists all papers published ever, let alone find them at one place. There are still many papers which are protected by copyright so you will have to pay in order to get access.

Likes Keith_McClary
arXiv has ~100% coverage for mathematics papers in several fields - everything that gets published is also uploaded there, often months before the publication. There are also many submissions that never become "full" publications. And everything is free to access.
pairofstrings said:
Papers or publications.

If you are a student, your uni might have bought access to MathSciNet.

Likes S.G. Janssens
arXiv is indeed the standard for pre-prints.

For journal publications, MathSciNet (AMS) and zbMATH (EMS) are the standard resources. The latter has recently become open access. Neither contain a list of all journal publications of all times, but their coverage of past and present is very extensive.

1. What is a math research paper?

A math research paper is a written work that presents original research or findings in the field of mathematics. It typically includes a clear research question, a thorough literature review, a detailed methodology, and a discussion of the results and their implications.

2. Who writes math research papers?

Math research papers are typically written by mathematicians, researchers, and academics in the field of mathematics. These individuals have a strong background in mathematics and often hold advanced degrees in the subject.

3. How do I find academic work by mathematicians?

You can find academic work by mathematicians by searching through online databases, such as MathSciNet or arXiv, which contain a vast collection of published math research papers. You can also visit the websites of universities and research institutions to find the work of specific mathematicians.

4. What makes a good math research paper?

A good math research paper should have a clear and well-defined research question, a thorough and up-to-date literature review, a rigorous methodology, and a logical and well-supported analysis of the results. It should also be written in a clear and concise manner, with proper citations and references.

5. How can I use math research papers in my own work?

Math research papers can be used as a source of information and inspiration for your own work. They can provide you with new ideas, methods, and approaches to solving mathematical problems. They can also help you understand the current state of research in a particular area and guide you in conducting your own research.