Math REUs 2014: Program Updates and Notifications

• Thread starter member 502815
  • Start date
In summary, participants in this conversation discussed the status of their applications for various math REU programs. Some have received rejections or acceptances from certain programs, while others are still waiting to hear back. Some programs have sent out first offers, while others have not begun evaluating applications yet. There was also a discussion about phone interviews and what they are typically like. One person mentioned being on the shortlist for two programs and another mentioned getting into one of their top choice programs. There was also a mention of a program potentially not running this year due to funding issues.
I spoke with someone who attended the Kent REU last summer. She did not have a great experience - apparently, her adviser was gone for half of the REU. I can't attest to this, don't know her at all, but that's what she said at the conference.

William and Mary sounds like a great REU. Congrats!

Physics news on Phys.org
joe_6174 said:
Nice! The one on density of gabor systems. What about you?

Interactions between Linear Algebra and Ring Theory.

Update: I accepted the offer at Kent.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from Penn. State or Oregon yet?

Has anyone heard from RIT? Is it even happening? I applied, but never got confirmation.

josef_hartmann said:
Interactions between Linear Algebra and Ring Theory.

Update: I accepted the offer at Kent.

I accepted my offer from Kent as well. I'll be working on "Asymptotic distribution of some hybrid arithmetic functions".

Just heard that Oregon State won't be sending out offers for at least two more weeks.

Anyone heard from Minnesota--Twin Cities?

Has anyone heard from Indiana - Bloomfield, San Diego State, or any of the Summer Institutes in Biostatistics?

Rejections: Emory, Carleton Women Program
No response: Oregon, GVSU, Cornell, Indiana-Bloomfield, San Diego State, Institute in Biostatistics (at NC State, Wisconsin-Madison and BU)

I'm not feeling too optimistic at the moment but I hope something works out for me. Congrats for everyone who has found somewhere to spend their summer! Does anyone have any backup plans for math pursuits over the summer?

Anyone know anything about the RIT REU? I'm deciding between a few REUs and it is the one that I know the least about. I have a pretty good feel for others.

LambdaStyle said:
Has anyone heard from Indiana - Bloomfield, San Diego State, or any of the Summer Institutes in Biostatistics?

Rejections: Emory, Carleton Women Program
No response: Oregon, GVSU, Cornell, Indiana-Bloomfield, San Diego State, Institute in Biostatistics (at NC State, Wisconsin-Madison and BU)

If it is at all any source of comfort, I also have not received any news from Indiana or Cornell. I'm not sure about the rest, as I haven't applied to those :/.

Has anyone heard from Michigan, William and Mary, Fairfield, and UCLA RIPS?

JapaneseGinger said:
If it is at all any source of comfort, I also have not received any news from Indiana or Cornell. I'm not sure about the rest, as I haven't applied to those :/.

Fairfield: began to review applications March 7

William and Mary: made first offers. (I was rejected when I asked for a status update)

Which Michigan? Central Michigan or MSU?

lauraofrohan said:
Which Michigan? Central Michigan or MSU?

Oops, sorry for not specifying! I meant the program at Michigan, Ann Arbor. I checked their site and they said they would send offers in Mid-March.

lauraofrohan said:
So, here's what I have learned...
Hawaii PURE will be sending offers Monday...
How'd you learn this? Their website says they will notify accepted applicants by early April. I've been antsy all day (haha)...

I had a couple other options and I had to decide on a few by yesterday, so I asked for an update from Hawaii. They said that I was in their final 18 and that they would let me know by Monday.

I was accepted to UW-Stout on Monday and have to accept by 5 on Friday. I'm still waiting on Cornell and CSU Fresno though. Let me know if you guys hear anything!

Mikeyp24 said:
I was accepted to UW-Stout on Monday and have to accept by 5 on Friday. I'm still waiting on Cornell and CSU Fresno though. Let me know if you guys hear anything!

I emailed CSU Fresno and asked for a status update. They emailed a decision pretty quickly. Congrats on Stout! Two people from my college have participated in years past and have really enjoyed it. Cornell sent out their first offers and almost all accepted.

JapaneseGinger said:

I just got a reply for a status update from RIPS. The Program Coordinator stated that they are almost done offering positions. They will be sending out regret letters at the end of the week for people that are not invited in the next couple of days.

I just got declined from Cornell, so I think they've filled their program. No updates from any other programs on my end.

JapaneseGinger said:

Michigan has made offers for math

Anyone else accept an offer at Kent?

I'm really excited about the summer!

josef_hartmann said:
Anyone else accept an offer at Kent?

I'm really excited about the summer!

I'm super excited for Kent's REU as well. My spring break will be spent getting up to speed on the topic.

Math said:
I'm super excited for Kent's REU as well. My spring break will be spent getting up to speed on the topic.

Sounds fun! I totally missed your (earlier) comment that already said you accepted the offer ha.

I'm curious - has anyone heard from James Madison? I already (very happily) committed to an REU, but I never heard from JMU.

Congratulations to everyone who has heard back from their respective programs! It must be nice to finally breathe that sigh of relief.

Unfortunately, I'm still holding my breath... does anyone know anything about the current statuses of
-Central Michigan University
-Fresno State
-GVSU
-Indiana University
or
-Willamette Valley
by chance?

I saw both GVSU and Fresno mentioned earlier, but has anyone heard anything else?

Oh, and I'm sort of new to the REU game... if I haven't been notified that I've been rejected yet, is it possible that I'm actually someone they're considering? Or would they have contacted me if I was on a shortlist or something of that sort?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
@cowmoo83, Well put. Congratulations to everybody who has received their acceptances. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you enjoy your research experiences.

Along with @lauraofrohan, I am also curious about the status of James Madison University. Does anyone have any info?

A few others that I am waiting to hear from are
- Coe College
- Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
- Kansas State University (KSU SUMAR)

If anybody has received any sort of notification from either of these schools could you let me know. I've been going mad with anticipation.

I just contacted Indiana, and they said that all offers to their program have been sent and all spots have been filled. In case anyone is still wondering. Good luck to everyone with their applications!

To cowmoo83 and JacobCheverie, I have info on a few of your programs.

Central Michigan sent me an offer (so they definitely started sending acceptances) and I believe they have completed their roster (so they are done) but I'm not sure (I didn't accept).

GVSU has filled all of their spots.

I turned down a spot at RIT, so they definitely sent out first offers. They did not give me much time to accept (three days) so I suspect that they have filled up their spots since then (I had to decide by Monday).

KSU SUMAR hasn't made offers last I checked. I emailed the director last week and she said that they would make offers for at least a week or two weeks since they hadn't started reading.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if William and Mary already made all their offers?

William and Mary made offers and sent out rejections 3/10. I also know of Hawaii pure sending out priority acceptances, at least for their residents program, last monday. I applied to
Hawaii Pure Residents (told them to consider me for interns too)
Cmich- which sounds like it is dont
William and Mary - already said no
JMU- heard nothing
Indiana- also sounds like it is done

I guess this all the info we have now. Let me know if any of you hear something about hawaii interns or JMU.

It's possible that William & Mary will be making more offers in the next week or so. I don't know how likely this is though.

Tsns, I really don't think so. This is the message they sent me:

We were very pleased to have the opportunity to consider you for the2014 William & Mary Mathematics REU program. We had a large number of applicants (over 200) of whom very many were qualified. We now have acceptances from our initial offers, and unless something unusual happens we will not make further offers.

We hope that you continue your work in mathematics and you have our best wishes for a rewarding career.

Charles R. Johnson
Class of 1961 Professor
And Virginia Eminent Scholar
2001 Virginia Outstanding Faculty Member

IDERIVE said:
We now have acceptances from our initial offers, and unless something unusual happens we will not make further offers.

What I mean is that based on my knowledge, something unusual may happen. I have no idea how likely it is, so I don't mean for this to be taken too seriously, but I thought I'd share my very vague information.

Anyone who applied to Central Michigan, just got this back from them:

We have filled all but one slot at this time. An offer is out for the last position. Thank you for your interest.

UPDATE on Indiana bloomington: all of the positions are filled. Just got emailed today about that too (I had to send an email to find that out too) . Sorry everybody that applied and had not heard back yet.

I just got declined from San Diego State today, so their selection is complete. I'm still looking for information on any of the summer institutes in Biostatistics if anyone else strayed from the glory of pure mathematics.

Hi all. This is my first post on this forum.

I'll list out what I have applied for and the status of each application.

Grand Valley State University - Applied
Kansas State University - Applied
San Diego State - Rejected
Central Michigan University - Applied
Lafayette College - Rejected
SUNY Potsdam-Clarkson - Rejected
Missouri State - Applied
Ohio Wesleyan University - AppliedI haven't heard back from all the ones they say "Applied." Hopefully I can get at least one!

By the way, I'm a Junior Mathematics student attending Wabash College (liberal arts).

Edit: What do ya'll plan on doing if you don't get an REU? I'll be staying on my campus to work at our IT Helpdesk while doing some "research" with a proff. I'm close with.

Last edited: