1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math REUs 2015: SUMSRI or Fairfield?

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    I am trying to decide between SUMSRI(geometric group theory) and Fairfield(Markov chains). Thoughts on either of these programs? I am a sophomore who will have completed calculus, linear algebra, intro to proofs, and the first half of real analysis by the end of this year. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Mar 25, 2015 #3
    I don't know the programs, but I find changing systems in Markov chains to be more interesting than group theory, although I will admit, group theory is useful in understanding conservation laws, crystal lattices, etc. But recently I encountered a way to use Markov chains to model the long-term behavior of neutrinos in terms of what flavors they are. Really neat stuff!

I'd recommend looking through the publications of the mentors/professors you would be working with, or at least the abstracts, in order to see what may appeal to you more. As well as look at the graduate program to both; one of these very well may be the grad school you want to go to, and having done an REU there will boost your chances of getting in significantly, plus you'd have contacts, etc...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook