Math REUs 2015: SUMSRI or Fairfield?

• Thread starter dbcodus
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the person is seeking advice on which program to choose between SUMSRI (geometric group theory) and Fairfield (Markov chains). They are a sophomore with a strong background in math and interested in exploring potential graduate programs. It is suggested to look at the publications and mentors/professors associated with each program to make a decision. Having completed an REU at the chosen program can also benefit in getting into graduate school.
dbcodus
I am trying to decide between SUMSRI(geometric group theory) and Fairfield(Markov chains). Thoughts on either of these programs? I am a sophomore who will have completed calculus, linear algebra, intro to proofs, and the first half of real analysis by the end of this year. Thanks in advance!

I don't know the programs, but I find changing systems in Markov chains to be more interesting than group theory, although I will admit, group theory is useful in understanding conservation laws, crystal lattices, etc. But recently I encountered a way to use Markov chains to model the long-term behavior of neutrinos in terms of what flavors they are. Really neat stuff!

I'd recommend looking through the publications of the mentors/professors you would be working with, or at least the abstracts, in order to see what may appeal to you more. As well as look at the graduate program to both; one of these very well may be the grad school you want to go to, and having done an REU there will boost your chances of getting in significantly, plus you'd have contacts, etc...

1. What is an REU and what does it stand for?

An REU is a Research Experience for Undergraduates program, designed to provide undergraduate students with hands-on research experience in their field of study. It stands for "Research Experience for Undergraduates."

2. What is SUMSRI and what does it offer?

SUMSRI stands for the Summer Undergraduate Mathematical Sciences Research Institute. It is a highly competitive REU program that focuses on research in mathematical sciences. It offers students the opportunity to work on challenging research projects, receive mentorship from experienced faculty, and present their findings at a national conference.

3. What is Fairfield University and why is it hosting the REU?

Fairfield University is a private Jesuit university located in Fairfield, Connecticut. It is hosting the REU program in partnership with the National Science Foundation (NSF) to provide undergraduate students with research opportunities in mathematics.

4. Who is eligible to apply for the REU program?

The REU program is open to undergraduate students who have completed at least one year of college and have a strong interest in pursuing research in mathematics. Students from underrepresented groups in STEM fields are strongly encouraged to apply.

5. How can I apply for the SUMSRI or Fairfield REU program?

To apply for the REU program, you will need to submit an application through the NSF's website. The application typically includes a personal statement, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a resume. Be sure to check the specific requirements for the SUMSRI or Fairfield REU program before submitting your application.