1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math REUs 2015

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    Has anyone heard back from math REU Programs for 2015 yet?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2
    Have offers from Kent, UCSB and WADE reu. Any opinions on those?

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    When did UCSB offer you admission? They only started reviewing 6 days ago. Also UCSB is a 3.3 on the AMS scale for their graduate program, so if you are interested in going there (3.3 is rather good) you should definitely go to that REU. Very few REUs have a graduate program in mathematics at their schools.

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4
    The program director emailed me today, and said I would be working on her project specifically.

6. Feb 17, 2015 #5
    Do you know why you were accepted so early? It is my understanding that acceptances are generally given end of February or beginning of March. WADE's applications are not due until tomorrow and they even say on their apply page:

7. Feb 17, 2015 #6
    Well, WADE I emailed after I got my first offer telling them I had an offer I needed to accept or decline by Feb. 18th. They gave me an offer during an interview shortly thereafter. UCSB was totally out of the blue, though.

Does anyone know anything about peoples' opinions of those REUs?

8. Feb 17, 2015 #7
    I attended the Kent State REU last summer and have nothing negative to report. So far as I know, everybody had positive experiences.

There are two projects run this year, one by Jenya Soprunova on lattice point geometry and one by Misha Chebotar in algebra. Jenya directed the REU last year but I didn't interact with her too much. Chebotar's group was in the office next to my group's -- I was in the now defunct analytic number theory group. Chebotar can be a bit goofy and likes to joke around, but at the end of the day he means business and his group is going to make some serious progress in their research. His group last year had submitted their paper with more than a week left in the program and the group from two years ago had their paper published before the start of the Fall semester.

Kent state is located in a midsize college town, 20 minutes away from Akron, which you may choose to fly to with the travel budget if you are more than an hour or two away, and about an hour away from Cleveland. The town itself is quite nice. There is a lovely Mexican restaurant and Five Guys which were favorites last year, but there are maybe a dozen other decent food options as well in addition to cooking in the dorms. No meal plan or allowance is included, but this was never an issue with the available options.

There were plenty things to do provided by the REU: There are weekly activities which included going to the zoo, laser tag, canoeing, etc. Though some of these may sound boring, they were quite enjoyable with the group. There was also a weekly sports activity, which most often was volleyball or Frisbee. Each research group gives a 15-30min talks each week in addition to the usually quite interesting weekly colloquiums.

Regarding the living situation: We had incredibly nice dorms -- they house the REU students in the best dorms on campus. Specifically, we had air-conditioned doubles with private bathroom shared with next-door room. There was a janitor who came weekly to clean our bathrooms and the full kitchen which was shared across the floor.

Overall, I had a great experience and would strongly recommend Kent's REU. That being said, the most weighty consideration in making your decision should probably be your interest/ability in the research topic.

9. Feb 17, 2015 #8
    I don't know what people think of the REUs but this is how I rank them: 1. Do they have a math graduate school there and how high is their math graduate school ranked? Even though they are separate entities (graduate and undergraduate) their faculty definitely discuss between the two. If the admissions committee sees that you went to an REU at the same school, then aren't they going to walk the few feet over to the person who ran it and ask them about you? 2. If they don't have a graduate program, how well known is their mathematics department? you can look this up here http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/mathematics and rankings aren't everything for this (like it is for grad school) but it gives you an idea. Is it in California (known for math and chemistry)? 3. Which has a topic that you personally find most interesting?

10. Feb 22, 2015 #9
    Congrats! What did you end up deciding on?

Also, does anyone else have any updates? Especially from SMALL, when will they start contacting people? I haven't gotten word from any yet.

11. Feb 22, 2015 #10
    Wound up choosing WADE after having a conversation with the director. He really seems to have his finger on the pulse of what's trendy in Number Theory, and asks good research questions. Super excited to go there this summer!

12. Feb 22, 2015 #11
    Congratulations! Good luck!

13. Feb 26, 2015 #12
    Has anyone got anything from SMALL yet? I literally check my email every 10 minute this week. I don't want to contact the director until next Monday.

14. Feb 27, 2015 #13
    I was accepted into another REU so I emailed SMALL regarding my status, their reply was:

Which is so sad :(

15. Feb 27, 2015 #14
    REU Person, which REU were you accepted to? I applied to UC Santa Barbara, SMALL (did not hear back :( guess that one is out ), Hawaii Hilo, UC Berkeley, Sam Huston State, Missouri State, SuMAR at Kansas, California state CI, U of Maryland. Has anyone heard back from any of these? especially California State CI, their deadline was 2/1 and that was a while ago?

16. Feb 27, 2015 #15
    I heard back from CSUCI on the 24th. Other than that and SMALL (which I guess I didn't get into since I haven't heard back), I didn't apply to any of the ones you listed.

17. Mar 1, 2015 #16
    I have heard from UCSB (accepted) and Duluth (instantly denied). Not sure if I should accept UCSB since I have yet to hear back from the others that I applied to (Sam Houston, SMALL, Potsdam, WADE, Emory, Farifield, Connecticut). From previous posts it seems like I should not hold my breath about SMALL and also if you look at Ken Ono's page he has a list of students posted, though maybe those are just the ones who have accepted. Either way I won't hold my breath about that either. Has anyone heard from any of the others?

18. Mar 1, 2015 #17
    Just checked out Ken Ono's page. I didn't apply to Emory, but to me it is sort of aggravating that he chose so many people from Harvard and Stanford, since those are already institutions with tons of research opportunities. I though funding from the government was supposed to go to REUs to support students from small schools without research opportunities. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

19. Mar 1, 2015 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You could have checked this yourself. Google is a wonderful thing: His proposal states:

20. Mar 1, 2015 #19
    Update: I accepted UCSB's offer. I did email Sam Houston and was informed that they have just begun making first round offers with over 180 applicants for 12 spots (I was not one of them lol).

21. Mar 1, 2015 #20
    Hrothgar, I forgot to ask you, which project at UCSB did you pick? I applied for Sequential Dynamical Systems with Dr. Bartlett.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook