Is Calculus Essential for Success in Engineering?

• Thread starter jvgkaty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I don't use calculus at all. I did take it in college, but I don't really see how it would help me in my career. I have a very steady hand and I don't think my skills would be greatly improved by knowing calculus.
jvgkaty
Hello guys, have a question for you. I was thinking of trying to become an engineer. Are all the classes I would have to take rooted in calculus? Would you say once a student has mastered or grasps calculus they will be successful? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm about to enter into my last semester of Mechanical Engineering and I would say that having a strong grasp on the basics of calculus will help immensely throughout nearly all of your courses. I would say like 95% of the engineering classes all deal with integrals and derivatives quite commonly. However, most classes don't really focus on much past calc 2. You're not likely to run into Greens Theorem or anything like that outside of the Calc 3 class. I've never run into triple integrals, spherical coordinates, or really anything in calc 3 in my other classes.

Also, make sure you have a strong grasp on algebra. More often than not, I would get stuck/make a mistake on the algebra required for a solution

If you want to get an engineering degree, you should know trig, geomoetry, and algebra like you know your native language; even better. An understanding of calculus will help you immensely, also, not only because you'll need it to pass your classes, but because many concepts require an understaning of calculus to really grasp them.

It also depends greatly on your chosen major, obviously. Aero's will use more calculus (multivariable, diffEQ, etc) than, say, chemical engineering due to the principles they each work with.

In EE, calculus is only the beginning - the foundation upon which a lot more sits.

From personal experience, calculus is what you need to describe a system.

However, to control and/or monitor the system, algebra is usually the tool that make use of the calculus.

So both calculus and algebra are quite important.

Also, discrete mathematics and statistics are very important too.Hahaha sorry for this crappy explanation but this is what I think from the point of view as a Mechatronics graduate.

Last edited:
If you have a steady hand, will you be a successful brain surgeon? Having one tool does not make you a master craftsman. I'm a successful engineer and I don't think I've used calculus once since university.

Knowledge of calculus clearly does not mean you're going to be a successful engineer!

If you end up working in manufacturing then you will be using statistics more than anything else.

brewnog said:
If you have a steady hand, will you be a successful brain surgeon? Having one tool does not make you a master craftsman. I'm a successful engineer and I don't think I've used calculus once since university.

Knowledge of calculus clearly does not mean you're going to be a successful engineer!

I don't think many engineers actually use calculus after college, but having a strong grasp on it will help out in being a successful student which is more important at the moment for the OP. Not only will it help with just getting through the courses, but it will help with the general understanding of the more complex concepts (harmonic systems, working in Laplace space, just general understanding of engineering concepts) which will then pave the way to being a successful engineer.

Calculus is used for upper level engineering (but it is generally done with computers, for instance, aerodynamicists don't generally make their calculations on the backs of envelopes) and for academics.

In general, engineers don't use calculus on a daily basis (though it will probably be used from time to time to some extent), but it is pretty essential to getting a deep understanding of eningeering concepts.

1. What types of math are commonly used in engineering?

In engineering, various types of math are used, such as algebra, calculus, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics. These math concepts are used to analyze and solve complex problems in engineering, such as designing structures, predicting and modeling systems, and optimizing processes.

2. How important is math in engineering?

Math is an essential tool in engineering, as it provides a systematic and logical approach to problem-solving. It allows engineers to quantify and analyze data, design and test systems, and make accurate predictions. Without math, it would be challenging to develop and improve technology and infrastructure.

3. Can someone become an engineer if they are not good at math?

While math skills are crucial for engineering, it is not the only requirement. Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also essential. With hard work and dedication, anyone can improve their math skills and become an engineer with the right education and training.

4. How is math used in different branches of engineering?

Math is used in various branches of engineering in different ways. For example, mechanical engineers use math to design and analyze the strength and motion of mechanical systems, while civil engineers use math to design structures and analyze their stability. Other branches, such as electrical, chemical, and industrial engineering, also heavily rely on math for their respective applications.

5. Are there any specific math courses that are recommended for aspiring engineers?

While the specific math courses may vary depending on the engineering discipline, it is generally recommended for aspiring engineers to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. These courses provide a strong foundation for understanding and applying math concepts in engineering.