Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica newby needs help with plot

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    I picked up Mathematica 6.0 a couple days ago, so bear with me please.

1) Plot3D[{x^2 + y^2}, {x, -10, 10}, {y, -10, 10}]
    returns a blank graph whereas when I set the boundaries from 0 to 2 it returns the actual graph! Why isn't it working?

2) When typing equation f into the Plot3D function( e.g {x^2 + y^2} ), is it implied that x^2 + y^2 == z ? I would think so, but using == doesn't work in the Plot3D expression.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Plot3D[{x^2 + y^2}, {x, -10, 10}, {y, -10, 10}] returns the correct plot for me with no problem.

Yes, that is the implication for Plot3D, however it is not expressed as an equation since you cannot use Plot3D to plot e.g. a sphere using an equation like x^2 + y^2 + z^2 == 1. Instead, the first argument to Plot3D must be a function of the variables in the second and third arguments. This is also done for syntactical consistency with other plotting routines where a 3rd coordinate wouldn't make as much sense (e.g. density plots and contour plots)

Attached Files:

4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    Hmmm, perhaps my copy is broken.

Would there be a simple way to plot an implicit function?
  5. Feb 18, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can rewrite the function in the form z = f(x, y) and use Plot3D:
    Code (Text):
    Solve[z^2 + x^2 + y^2 == R^2, z] /. R -> 1
    Plot3D[z /. %, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1}]
    or parametrize it:
    Code (Text):
    ParametricPlot3D[{r Cos[theta] Sin[phi], r Sin[theta] Sin[phi], r Cos[phi]} /. r -> 1, {phi, 0, \[Pi]}, {theta, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]
    or you may use RegionPlot3D:
    Code (Text):
    RegionPlot3D[x^2 + y^2 + z^2 <= 1, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, {z, -1, 1}]
  6. Feb 18, 2008 #5
    Ahh, those worked.

What does /. R -> 1 do precisely?

From what I'm gather /. means a rule is to follow. lhs -> rhs represents "a rule that transforms lhs to rhs."

So is /. R -> 1 the equavalent of saying R = 1 or R approaches 1?
  7. Feb 18, 2008 #6

It is the equivalent of temporarily saying R = 1. In other words, if you do set R = 1 then it applies to all expressions using R, but by using a rule you apply it only for that expression.
  8. Feb 18, 2008 #7
    So it's like setting a local variable. How does it contrast with Mathematica's ability to set local variables within lists. e.g. {x = 1, expr}

Thanks for the help guys.
  9. Feb 18, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't contrast with it. If you do
    {X = 1, expr}
    then it will return a list
    {1, expr}
    and in addition will assign the value 1 to X anywhere you use it. If somewhere else you wrote
    Solve[X^2 == 4, X]
    and execute it after the above statement, you will get errors because it cannot evaluate
    Solve[1^2 == 4, 1]

IMO and experience assigning variables globally should always be avoided unless you have really really really good reasons to do it (and I mean: really very good reasons). There are sufficiently good constructs not to have to do it, like replacements, as in
    x^2 + y^2 == f[r] /. {x -> r Cos[theta], y -> r Sin[theta], f[t_] :> t^2}
    and temporary assignments as in
    Block[{i = 3, x = 4}, DoSomethingWith[i, x];]
    Module[{i = 3, x = 4}, DoSomethingWith[i, x];]
    You can even assign replacement lists to variables, as in:
    repl = {x -> ..., y -> ..., z :> ...., q'[0] -> ...}
    and use them everywhere
    x^2 - z y / q'[0] /. repl
    (So, I admit, this is an exception to the rule about assigning variables --- but it's about the only one).

I hardly ever find myself assigning variables (and if I do for a quick test, I always quit the kernel afterwards). It prevents a lot of unexpected results.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  10. Feb 18, 2008 #9

I agree with CompuChip. The only time I use expressions like x=1 is when I know I am not going to save it or use it some other time.
  11. Feb 18, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

/. can be thought of as a conditioning operator similar to writing [tex]\left.\frac {\partial y}{\partial x}\right|_{x=0}[/tex]

In Mathematica, that last expression would be ([itex]\partial_x[/itex] y)/.x->0

/.R -> 1 is a local literal replacement rule. Although it is mostly used to assign temp values, it can be used to replace any literal part of the preceding expression with anything else. For example,

(x+y)^2 - z^2/.(x+y)^2 -> r^4 yields r^4 - z^2.

But (x^2 + y^2 + 2 x y) - z^2 /. (x + y)^2 -> r^4 returns x^2 + 2 x y + y^2 - z^2. The replacement has no effect when it isn't literal.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?