Mathematica - Open completely separate notebook (no sharing of variable names)?

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to learn Mathematica and asking if it is possible to open a second notebook without sharing variables between other open notebooks. They also want to know if there is a way to define a variable in the second notebook without affecting it in the first. The other person suggests managing the context search path or spending time with experienced Mathematica users on a forum where they can learn and ask questions.
lets_resonate
Hi,

I'm trying to learn Mathematica.

Is it possible to open a second notebook in Mathematica, but without sharing variables between other open notebooks? For example, if I defined "m" in my first notebook, I want to be able to use it as just a symbol in the second notebook. I also want to be able to define it in the second notebook without affecting it in the first.

Is there anything I could do to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think managing the context search path would do it. Hey, you know what's even better? Hang out with the Mathematica jocks say one hour (or 2) a day, reading all the daily posts, working out the solutions they give (cut and past the answers into your Mathematica), studying them, asking questions, searching the archive, you know what I mean. In six weeks you'll be tops helping other people with their Mathematica problems :) . It's here:

http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=79&start=0

I think asking your question there would be more productive (no offense guys in here), sides, we do Mathematics in here anyway. :)

1. Can I open completely separate notebooks in Mathematica without sharing variable names?

Yes, you can open multiple notebooks in Mathematica without sharing variable names. This can be done by using the "New" option under the "File" menu or by using the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + N". Each notebook will have its own set of variables and they will not interfere with each other.

2. How can I prevent variable names from being shared between notebooks in Mathematica?

To prevent variable names from being shared between notebooks in Mathematica, you can use the "Local" option when defining your variables. This ensures that the variables are only accessible within the specific notebook they were defined in and cannot be accessed from other notebooks.

3. Is it possible to transfer variables between separate notebooks in Mathematica?

Yes, it is possible to transfer variables between separate notebooks in Mathematica. You can use the "Export" and "Import" functions to save variables from one notebook and import them into another. You can also use the "Save" and "Get" functions to save and load entire notebooks, including their variables.

4. Can I have multiple notebooks open at the same time in Mathematica?

Yes, you can have multiple notebooks open at the same time in Mathematica. You can switch between notebooks by clicking on their tabs at the top of the window or by using the "Window" menu. You can also arrange the notebooks in different ways by using the options under the "Window" menu.

5. How can I avoid accidentally overwriting variables in different notebooks in Mathematica?

To avoid accidentally overwriting variables in different notebooks in Mathematica, you can give your variables unique names or use the "Context" option when defining them. This will ensure that the variables are specific to the notebook they were defined in and cannot be accidentally overwritten by variables with the same name in other notebooks.