Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica - Open completely separate notebook (no sharing of variable names)?

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to learn Mathematica.

Is it possible to open a second notebook in Mathematica, but without sharing variables between other open notebooks? For example, if I defined "m" in my first notebook, I want to be able to use it as just a symbol in the second notebook. I also want to be able to define it in the second notebook without affecting it in the first.

Is there anything I could do to accomplish this?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2
    I think managing the context search path would do it. Hey, you know what's even better? Hang out with the Mathematica jocks say one hour (or 2) a day, reading all the daily posts, working out the solutions they give (cut and past the answers into your Mathematica), studying them, asking questions, searching the archive, you know what I mean. In six weeks you'll be tops helping other people with their Mathematica problems :) . It's here:

http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=79&start=0

I think asking your question there would be more productive (no offense guys in here), sides, we do Mathematics in here anyway. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook