1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica - Open completely separate notebook (no sharing of variable names)?

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to learn Mathematica.

Is it possible to open a second notebook in Mathematica, but without sharing variables between other open notebooks? For example, if I defined "m" in my first notebook, I want to be able to use it as just a symbol in the second notebook. I also want to be able to define it in the second notebook without affecting it in the first.

Is there anything I could do to accomplish this?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2
    I think managing the context search path would do it. Hey, you know what's even better? Hang out with the Mathematica jocks say one hour (or 2) a day, reading all the daily posts, working out the solutions they give (cut and past the answers into your Mathematica), studying them, asking questions, searching the archive, you know what I mean. In six weeks you'll be tops helping other people with their Mathematica problems :) . It's here:

http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=79&start=0

I think asking your question there would be more productive (no offense guys in here), sides, we do Mathematics in here anyway. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook