Mathematica solution with an imaginary part

In summary, the imaginary part in a Mathematica solution is a component that represents imaginary numbers in a complex number. It can be displayed using the function Im[sol] and can be negative if the solution involves negative numbers. Mathematica has built-in functions for handling calculations with imaginary numbers and can solve equations with imaginary solutions using functions such as Solve and NSolve.
ehrenfest
Can someone please explain why the result of the following has an imaginary part when I put it into mathematica 6.0?

Code:
Sum[Sin[n 6]/2^n, {n, 1, Infinity}]

Physics news on Phys.org
Because
Code:
Sin[n 6] / 2^n
is
Code:
2^-n * Sin[n 6]

Wrap it in a full simplify command:

Code:
FullSimplify[Sum[Sin[n 6]/2^n, {n, 1, Infinity}]]

DeepakS said:
Because
Code:
Sin[n 6] / 2^n
is
Code:
2^-n * Sin[n 6]

So what?

1. What is an imaginary part in a Mathematica solution?

The imaginary part in a Mathematica solution is a component that represents the imaginary numbers in a complex number. It is denoted by the letter 'i' and is used to perform calculations involving the square root of negative numbers.

2. How can I display the imaginary part of a Mathematica solution?

To display the imaginary part of a Mathematica solution, you can use the function Im[sol], where 'sol' is the name of the solution. This will return the imaginary part as a numerical value or an expression containing 'i'.

3. Can the imaginary part of a Mathematica solution be negative?

Yes, the imaginary part of a Mathematica solution can be negative. This occurs when the solution involves a negative number under the square root, resulting in a negative 'i' component in the solution.

4. How does Mathematica handle calculations involving imaginary numbers?

Mathematica has built-in functions and operations for handling calculations involving imaginary numbers. It uses the letter 'i' to denote the imaginary unit and has functions such as Re[sol] and Im[sol] to extract the real and imaginary parts of a solution, respectively.

5. Can Mathematica solve equations with imaginary solutions?

Yes, Mathematica can solve equations with imaginary solutions. It has functions such as Solve and NSolve that can handle complex numbers and return both real and imaginary solutions. However, it is important to note that not all equations will have imaginary solutions.