How can I rederive this Mathematica result for a complex equation?

• Thread starter thatboi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation was about solving an equation using Mathematica, and the solution given by the software was x = ±kv(m1+m2)/√((m1-m2)^2+4k^2v^2). The person was having trouble rederiving the result and asked for advice. Someone suggested to multiply both sides out and equate real and imaginary coefficients, but without seeing the person's work, there was little that could be done to help. The conversation ended without a resolution.
thatboi
Hey all,
I am trying to solve the following equation: $$\left(k-i\frac{m_{1}}{v}\right)^{-1}\Bigg(-i\frac{x}{v}-\frac{\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}}{v}\Bigg) = \left(k+i\frac{m_{2}}{v}\right)^{-1}\Bigg(i\frac{x}{v}+\frac{\sqrt{-x^2+m_{2}^2+k^2v^2}}{v}\Bigg)$$ for ##x## and we can assume ##m_{1},m_{2},k,v## are all real and ##i## is the imaginary unit. Now mathematica tells me that the solution is $$x=\pm\frac{kv(m_{1}+m_{2})}{\sqrt{(m_{1}-m_{2})^2+4k^2v^2}}$$ but I am having trouble rederiving the result. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thatboi said:
Hey all,
I am trying to solve the following equation: $$\left(k-i\frac{m_{1}}{v}\right)^{-1}\Bigg(-i\frac{x}{v}-\frac{\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}}{v}\Bigg) = \left(k+i\frac{m_{2}}{v}\right)^{-1}\Bigg(i\frac{x}{v}+\frac{\sqrt{-x^2+m_{2}^2+k^2v^2}}{v}\Bigg)$$ for ##x## and we can assume ##m_{1},m_{2},k,v## are all real and ##i## is the imaginary unit. Now mathematica tells me that the solution is $$x=\pm\frac{kv(m_{1}+m_{2})}{\sqrt{(m_{1}-m_{2})^2+4k^2v^2}}$$ but I am having trouble rederiving the result. Any advice would be appreciated!
Without seeing your work there is little we can do to help.

Here's step 1 (as I see it.) Multiply both sides out and equate real and imaginary coefficients.

-Dan

$$\left(k-i\frac{m_{1}}{v}\right)^{-1}\Bigg(-i\frac{x}{v}-\frac{\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}}{v}\Bigg) = \left(k+i\frac{m_{2}}{v}\right)^{-1}\Bigg(i\frac{x}{v}+\frac{\sqrt{-x^2+m_{2}^2+k^2v^2}}{v}\Bigg)$$
\begin{align*}
\dfrac{kv+i m_2}{kv-i m_1}&=-\dfrac{ix+\sqrt{-x^2+m_{2}^2+k^2v^2}}{ix+\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}}=
-\dfrac{ix+\sqrt{-x^2+m_{2}^2+k^2v^2}}{ix+\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}}\cdot \dfrac{ix-\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}}{ix-\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}}\\
&=\dfrac{\left(ix+\sqrt{-x^2+m_{2}^2+k^2v^2}\right)\cdot \left(ix-\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}\right)}{m_1^2+k^2v^2}
\end{align*}
\begin{align*}
\left(kv+i m_2\right)\left(kv+i m_1\right)&=\left(ix+\sqrt{-x^2+m_{2}^2+k^2v^2}\right)\cdot \left(ix-\sqrt{-x^2+m_{1}^2+k^2v^2}\right)\\
&\vdots\\
&\text{etc.}
\end{align*}
... until you end up with ##1=1## or ##1=0##. If it was wrong, then very likely due to a confusion of ##m_1## and ##m_2## or a sign error.

Likes thatboi and topsquark

1. What does it mean to "rederive" a Mathematica result?

Rederiving a Mathematica result means to use the original equations or data to independently reproduce the result. This can help to verify the accuracy of the original result or to understand the underlying principles and calculations involved.

2. Why is it important to rederive Mathematica results?

Rederiving Mathematica results is important for several reasons. It can help to ensure the accuracy of the original result, especially if there are any errors or discrepancies. It can also aid in understanding the logic and calculations used in obtaining the result, which can be useful for further research or applications.

3. How do I rederive a Mathematica result?

To rederive a Mathematica result, you will need to have access to the original equations or data used to obtain the result. Then, you can use the same or similar methods and calculations as the original result to reproduce it. This can be done manually or by using the Mathematica software.

4. Can rederiving a Mathematica result lead to different results?

Yes, it is possible for rederiving a Mathematica result to lead to different results. This could be due to errors in the original equations or data, or differences in the methods used to obtain the result. It is important to carefully check and verify the accuracy of both the original and rederived results.

5. Are there any limitations to rederiving Mathematica results?

There may be limitations to rederiving Mathematica results, depending on the complexity of the equations or data used. Some results may be difficult or impossible to reproduce, especially if they involve advanced mathematical concepts or large datasets. Additionally, rederiving results may be time-consuming and require a thorough understanding of the underlying principles and calculations.