Mathematica vs. Other Math Apps

In summary, Sage is a program that is similar to Mathematica, but has a nicer interface. It is less powerful than Mathematica, but may be more user-friendly.
kq6up
I have been using Maxima to help me review to go back to grad school for physics. I think I might be running to the limits of its functionality (or maybe I just don't know how to use it correctly). I used to have a lot of experience with Mathematica, but their license system has grown to be oppressive. What are some other options for powerful analytic math programs that are comparable to Mathematica, or is Mathematica so much better it is worth the abuse.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a gnu-octave app - it is more basic than Mathematica, mainly in the UI.
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/
... this is what I use.

Sage is more gui-ish, combining many OSS and FS programs -("sage-math" on google play I think)
http://www.sagemath.org/
... never used it.

There's a bunch of others.
Desktop versions are in repos for most versions of GNU/Linux.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
There is a gnu-octave app - it is more basic than Mathematica, mainly in the UI.
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/
... this is what I use.
Octave is nothing like Mathematica. You are perhaps thinking of Matlab, which is what octave is attempting to replicate.

Reduce, Axiom, Maple, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_algebra_system

Mostly I think what you need is an excellent supply of well written books on the system you choose and a high quality responsive forum with people who are very skilled in figuring out why something isn't working.

Likes 1 person
Awesome, Bill. Your comments are most helpful. I am a member of a Maxima list, but I haven't received any response to this. I probably need to find a better one. I am playing around with sage, and find that I like it. I am not sure if it can do the series I was trying.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

D H said:
Octave is nothing like Mathematica. You are perhaps thinking of Matlab, which is what octave is attempting to replicate.
Yes - GNU-Octave is designed to be a free-software replacement for Matlab and a core for other programs with the same aim but perhaps more gui-oriented and with prettier output.
Did not mean to appear to claim that it was anything else.

The similarities and differences have been the subject of another thread.

And here is a comparison between octave and maxima. On a reveiw of 20 sites, it seems typical of the observations, though some posts in the physicsforums thread (prev link) extend the typical observations.

Octave and Sage come up a lot in other forum responses to the same question with sage being touted as most similar to mathematica. When someone is most used to one, they are best to look for the most similar, appropriately licensed, replacement that otherwise suits their needs.

Maxima uses DOE-MACSIMA
GNU-Octave uses GiNaC and CLN for symbolic computing.
Perhaps it would be helpful to know where Maxima fails the OP before making any firm recommendations. Meantime - found a review comparing the three names that keep coming up:
Octave - Spyder - Maxima ... also a description of how SAGE relates to these three.

Should be a place to start anyway.
Enjoy.

Thanks, Simon. I will check these articles out. I need to find a good forum for Maxima. I am a member of one, but it is a very quiet list.

Chris

You might be careful with the answers to a question like "Is there anything better than a Chevy?" I suspect that most people with experience will not reply. But I suspect more than enough who know a little bit about one system, have never seen anything else, and will happily tell you that the one they have seen is the best one.

Really really knowing one of these takes enough time, knowing enough about several to be able to provide qualified comparisons is much harder.

This is true, Bill.

I have been playing with Sage for some time today, and it seems to be doing what I want. Pretty nice actually. I used Mathematical extensively about 15 years ago. I have been using Maxima very casually the past couple of years, so I have some basis for comparison. Mathematica is more powerful, but Maxima is more intuitive (in my opinion).

Thanks,
Chris Maness

What is Mathematica and how does it compare to other math apps?

Mathematica is a computational software program used for mathematical, scientific, and engineering calculations. It is a powerful tool that can perform a wide range of mathematical operations, create visualizations, and handle large datasets. Compared to other math apps, Mathematica offers a more comprehensive and advanced set of features and capabilities.

Is Mathematica user-friendly for beginners?

While Mathematica has a steep learning curve, it is designed to be user-friendly for beginners. The user interface is intuitive and there are plenty of tutorials and resources available to help new users get started. Additionally, Mathematica has a built-in function called "Wolfram Language" that uses natural language input, making it easier for beginners to write code without prior programming knowledge.

What are the advantages of using Mathematica over other math apps?

The main advantage of using Mathematica over other math apps is its vast library of built-in functions and algorithms. This allows for efficient and accurate computation of complex mathematical problems. Additionally, Mathematica has a wide range of specialized packages for specific fields such as physics, finance, and biology, making it a versatile tool for different types of calculations.

Can Mathematica be used for both numerical and symbolic computations?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of performing both numerical and symbolic computations. It can handle mathematical operations involving numbers, as well as algebraic and calculus operations. This versatility makes it a useful tool for both theoretical and applied mathematics.

Is Mathematica a cost-effective option compared to other math apps?

This depends on the specific needs and usage of the individual or organization. While Mathematica may have a higher upfront cost, it offers a comprehensive set of features and capabilities that may justify the investment. Additionally, there are student and academic discounts available for Mathematica. However, for simpler mathematical tasks, there are other free or lower-cost options available.