Mathematical Induction trouble with 1 step

In summary, the conversation is about a specific induction problem: "Prove n! > 4^n, for all n >= 9." The person starts by showing the truth for n = 9 and then assumes it is true for n = k. They then try to prove it for n = k+1, but get stuck when expanding the left side of the equation. They are unsure how to proceed, but eventually realize that since k is always at least 9, k+1 will always be greater than 4, leading to the proof.
forevergone
Hi there folks, I have just a small problem with a specific induction problem. The problem itself is: "Prove [tex]n! > 4^n[/tex], for all n >= 9."

So here's my work:

1) Show true for n = 9
LS
9! = 362880

RS
4^9 = 262144

.:. LS > RS

2) Assume true for n = k
i.e. Assume that k! > 4^k

3) Prove true for n = k+1
i.e. Prove that (k+1)! > 4^(k+1)

So I begin to expand the LHS out

(k+1)! = (k+1)(k)!
> (K+1)(4^k) (by induction hypothesis)this is the problem that I encounter. I get stuck here because I don't exactly know how to followthrough at this point. How does (k+1)(4^k) become greater that 4^(k+1) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If k >= 9, then what can you say about k + 1? How is k + 1 compared to 4 (greater, less than, or equal to)?
So from there can you prove that (k + 1)4k > 4k + 1 = 4 4k?

VietDao29 said:
If k >= 9, then what can you say about k + 1? How is k + 1 compared to 4 (greater, less than, or equal to)?
So from there can you prove that (k + 1)4k > 4k + 1 = 4 4k?

OH. I see, since k always going to be at least 10. I didn't see it that way.

Dammit! Oh well, a few silly mistakes cost me quite alot.

Thanks.

Last edited:

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of proving mathematical statements or formulas that are based on the natural numbers. It involves showing that a statement is true for a specific base case, and then proving that the statement is true for all subsequent cases.

What is a common mistake when using mathematical induction with only 1 step?

A common mistake when using mathematical induction with only 1 step is assuming that the statement is true for all numbers after the base case without actually proving it. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and an invalid proof.

How can I avoid making a mistake with mathematical induction?

To avoid making a mistake with mathematical induction, it is important to carefully follow the steps of the induction process. This includes clearly stating the base case, assuming the statement is true for the generic case, and then using this assumption to prove the statement for the next case.

What are some tips for successfully using mathematical induction?

Some tips for successfully using mathematical induction include choosing a strong base case that is easy to prove, being organized and methodical in your steps, and double-checking your work for any mistakes or assumptions.

Can mathematical induction be used to prove any mathematical statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that involve the natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements involving fractions, decimals, or irrational numbers.