Mathematicians are expressive too

• Thread starter FaustoMorales
  • Start date
In summary, mathematicians have their own ways of expressing amazement, such as saying "Wow factorial" or "Good one factorial". However, they still write "Wow!" like everyone else. There can be confusion when non-mathematicians use factorials incorrectly, but it is important for proper use of the symbol.
FaustoMorales
Mathematicians are expressive too!

Most people say things like ¨Wow!¨ to express amazement. What do mathematicians say?

Physics news on Phys.org

FaustoMorales said:
Most people say things like ¨Wow!¨ to express amazement. What do mathematicians say?

Why wouldn't they say "WOW" also? There is a certain economy and symmetry to the word, isn't there?

stevenb said:
Why wouldn't they say "WOW" also? There is a certain economy and symmetry to the word, isn't there?

True, although some of us still prefer to say ¨Wow factorial¨. However, I must say in our defense that we do write ¨Wow!¨ like the rest of the world:smile:

FaustoMorales said:
True, although some of us still prefer to say ¨Wow factorial¨. However, I must say in our defense that we do write ¨Wow!¨ like the rest of the world:smile:

Good one!

... or I should say, "Good one factorial"

stevenb said:
Good one!

... or I should say, "Good one factorial"

Thanks! (with Thanks > 2 to make the factorial kick in properly.)

FaustoMorales said:

This reminds me of when I was flipping tv channels and came across a show that listed the birthdays of the children who watched it. They listed the ages next to each child's name, and right after the name, they included a, "!". Those would be some really old children, if that represented their actual ages. :rofl:

~christina~ said:
Those would be some really old children, if that represented their actual ages. :rofl:

Unbelievable! (read ¨Unbelievable factorial¨) Looks like there is some truly urgent need for foolproof factorial control measures - to prevent those less-than-competent screen editors from confusing the heck out of those among us who strive, day in and day out, to make proper use of this ultimately expressive symbol.

For example, I propose compelling these self-proclaimed ¨professionals¨ to use factorial-free keyboards. The measure should probably also include having them keep their desks clear of sharp objects at all times to prevent self-inflicted, accidental injuries. Just for good measure...

Last edited:

FaustoMorales said:
For example, I propose compelling these self-proclaimed ¨professionals¨ to use factorial-free keyboards. The measure should probably also include having them keep their desks clear of sharp objects at all times to prevent self-inflicted, accidental injuries. Just for good measure...

:rofl: I agree.

You don't pronounce exclamation points as factorial. You pronounce factorials as exclamation points. So 2x+24 should be pronounced as "2x plus FOUR"

What is "Mathematicians are expressive too"?

"Mathematicians are expressive too" is a statement that highlights the fact that mathematicians are not just logical thinkers, but they also have a creative and expressive side.

Why is it important to acknowledge the expressiveness of mathematicians?

Acknowledging the expressiveness of mathematicians helps to break the stereotype that they are only analytical and lack creativity. It also highlights the importance of creative thinking in the field of mathematics.

How do mathematicians express themselves?

Mathematicians express themselves in various ways, such as through writing proofs, creating visual representations of mathematical concepts, and using metaphors and analogies to explain complex ideas.

Is expressiveness necessary for a mathematician?

While it is not a requirement to be highly expressive to be a mathematician, being able to communicate ideas effectively and think creatively can greatly enhance one's mathematical abilities.

Can anyone become an expressive mathematician?

Yes, anyone can develop their expressiveness in mathematics through practice and exposure to different methods of communication and creative thinking. It is a skill that can be improved upon with effort and dedication.