Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematicians are expressive too

1. Aug 19, 2010 #1
    Mathematicians are expressive too!!

Most people say things like ¨Wow!¨ to express amazement. What do mathematicians say?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2010 #2
    Re: Mathematicians are expressive too!!

Why wouldn't they say "WOW" also? There is a certain economy and symmetry to the word, isn't there?

4. Aug 19, 2010 #3

True, although some of us still prefer to say ¨Wow factorial¨. However, I must say in our defense that we do write ¨Wow!¨ like the rest of the world:smile:

5. Aug 19, 2010 #4

Good one!

... or I should say, "Good one factorial"

6. Aug 19, 2010 #5

Thanks! (with Thanks > 2 to make the factorial kick in properly.)

7. Aug 19, 2010 #6

~christina~

Gold Member

This reminds me of when I was flipping tv channels and came across a show that listed the birthdays of the children who watched it. They listed the ages next to each child's name, and right after the name, they included a, "!". Those would be some really old children, if that represented their actual ages. :rofl:

8. Aug 20, 2010 #7

Unbelievable! (read ¨Unbelievable factorial¨) Looks like there is some truly urgent need for foolproof factorial control measures - to prevent those less-than-competent screen editors from confusing the heck out of those among us who strive, day in and day out, to make proper use of this ultimately expressive symbol.

For example, I propose compelling these self-proclaimed ¨professionals¨ to use factorial-free keyboards. The measure should probably also include having them keep their desks clear of sharp objects at all times to prevent self-inflicted, accidental injuries. Just for good measure...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  9. Aug 27, 2010 #8

~christina~

Gold Member

:rofl: I agree.

10. Aug 30, 2010 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't pronounce exclamation points as factorial. You pronounce factorials as exclamation points. So 2x+24 should be pronounced as "2x plus FOUR"

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook