Mathematics for the Nonmathematician

• Thread starter mindheavy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, "Mathematics for the Nonmathematician" is a book that aims to provide an accessible and understandable introduction to the basic concepts of mathematics for readers without a strong background in the subject. It covers a wide range of topics, including basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, statistics, and probability, and can help readers improve their mathematical skills through clear explanations, examples, and practice problems. It is suitable for self-study, but having a teacher or tutor may provide further clarification.
mindheavy
71WDZR3MQJL.gif

Does anyone have an opinion of this book? Have you studied from it? Does it cover anything even fairly in depth or is it's purpose mainly for a general overview of concepts?

Physics news on Phys.org
it seems to contain a lot of history, and attempts to give the idea behind a lot of different ideas in mathematics. to a mathematician like me it is rather wordy and tedious.

1. What is the purpose of a book on "Mathematics for the Nonmathematician"?

The purpose of this book is to provide an accessible and understandable introduction to the basic concepts of mathematics for those who do not have a strong background in the subject. It aims to help readers develop an appreciation for the role of mathematics in everyday life and to build a foundation for further learning in the subject.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge of mathematics to understand this book?

No, this book is designed for readers with little to no prior knowledge of mathematics. It starts with the most fundamental concepts and gradually builds upon them, making it easy for nonmathematicians to follow along.

3. What topics are covered in "Mathematics for the Nonmathematician"?

This book covers a wide range of topics, including basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, statistics, and probability. It also introduces readers to more advanced topics such as calculus, but in a simplified and approachable manner.

4. Can this book help me improve my mathematical skills?

Yes, this book can help readers improve their mathematical skills by providing clear explanations and examples that can be applied to real-world situations. It also includes exercises and practice problems to reinforce learning.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or do I need a teacher?

This book can be used for self-study, but having a teacher or tutor can be beneficial for further explanation and clarification. However, the book is written in a way that is easy to understand without the need for a teacher.