Books and websites about manipulatives in mathematics?

  • Topic: Foundations 
  • Thread starter Thread starter robertphy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathemathics Teaching
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8 replies · 3K views
robertphy
Messages
15
Reaction score
5
Do you know about books and websites about manipulatives in mathematics teaching for secondary schools?
I think manipulatives are incredibly useful in teaching Mathematics.

Thank you for your support.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never seen those rods before (elementary school in the 1960s). Though I do remember staring at a floor tiled with small square tiles, and "seeing why" the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mathwonk, vanhees71 and Demystifier
And thanks to your mental picture, I see why it is also equivalent to the algebraic formula (n+1)^2 - n^2 = 2n+1, which also proves it by induction. cool.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier and gmax137