How good is "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov?

• Intro Math
  • Thread starter fxdung
  • Start date
fxdung
Is it worthwhile to read the book Course of Higher Mathematics by Smirnov?It is a serie so may be it easy to read because there are not gaps when reading process occur(?) for self-study mathematics for physics?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
It was useful for my self study of calculus. But I am afraid modern texts has come after it.

fxdung
Is it out of date?But it cover a broad range of mathematics?

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I think it's among the best textbooks on analysis, at least for physicists.

Likes Demystifier, dextercioby, ipsky and 1 other person
fxdung
But the book written in Soviet period, so I still suspect the qualification of it?(Usually Soviet books are bad books).Is the book a special case?(I know that e.g serie of Landau is good one)

Last edited:
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Well, I only know good Russian math and physics textbooks. I guess it's a natural filter. Nobody bothered to translate bad books into English or German ;-)).

Likes Demystifier and anuttarasammyak
Mondayman
I have the book Linear Algebra and Group Theory and it is good, a little advanced for me with my limited LA, but it reads well and the exercises look good.

ipsky
But the book written in Soviet period, so I still suspect the qualification of it?(Usually Soviet books are bad books).Is the book a special case?(I know that e.g serie of Landau is good one)
What is a bad book for you?

Check the preface and introduction to ascertain the prerequisite knowledge assumed by the author. Read through a few randomly selected pages to get a feel for the language and presentation style of the author, and to see whether it helps you relate to the concepts. Also check the author's biography and academic lineage.

In my opinion, Soviet era books on physics and mathematics that were translated to English have significantly helped me develop an intuitive understanding, more so than contemporary textbooks. They have generally included well-chosen solved examples and answers to the problems. They write with prudence and generally do not repeat themselves. This demands considerable effort on my behalf, but the joy is exponential. If this suits you, Smirnov's series should help with your self-study.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
martinbn
Science Advisor
Actually it is the other way around. Books on maths and physics from that period are usually very good. Now the number of crackpots' books so large that I am always skeptical to read any text written in Russian.

Suggested for: How good is "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post