• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Mathematics required for physics

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi there,

I'm currently a second year chemistry student in the UK. Since starting my degree I've found myself interested in theoretical/quantum chemistry. I would like to apply for a PhD programme in theoretical chemistry, which follows courses in quantum mechanics/statistical thermodynamics.
I didn't take Maths in school, and would eventually like to work within chemical physics/theoretical chemistry/theoretical physics. I would like to know the main areas of mathematics that I need to focus on, some good texts that could supplement learning, this sort of thing. I'm concerned I'm too far behind!

Regards,

PAT

Answers and Replies

Hi there,

I'm currently a second year chemistry student in the UK. Since starting my degree I've found myself interested in theoretical/quantum chemistry. I would like to apply for a PhD programme in theoretical chemistry, which follows courses in quantum mechanics/statistical thermodynamics.
I didn't take Maths in school, and would eventually like to work within chemical physics/theoretical chemistry/theoretical physics. I would like to know the main areas of mathematics that I need to focus on, some good texts that could supplement learning, this sort of thing. I'm concerned I'm too far behind!

Regards,

PAT
Can you tell us the extent of your math knowledge?