Mathieu oscillator: parametric resonance

In summary: I'll give it a try.In summary, the book recommends using a numerical method to find the coefficients a (q) (or b (q)) for a (q) (or b (q)) in the Mathieu equation.
samreen
hey, i need help in solving the equation of a mathieu oscillator (ignoring damping) and showing how the condition for max parametric resonance is doubling of the natural frequency . ( got viva 2morro. I am so going to suck)

D^2x + K(t)x =0
(Ko is the constant natural frequency when no perturbation present. D^2 is the second order time derivative of displacement x) . and, um, i kno precious little maths. for differential equations with variable coeffs, jst Frobenius method to seek series solns.

Physics news on Phys.org
if ur
K(t)=a-2q cos(2t)
than ur differential equation is Matthieu differential equation.

yes it is. but i need to develop that solution for the viva

hey, brilliant! thanx

U welcome

Hi masqau,
can you explain me the procedure that i found in your first link

http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode/ode0234.pdf

"Selecting a sufficiently large m and omitting the term with the maximum number in the recurrence relations we can obtain approximate relations for the eigenvalues a (b) with respect to parameter q. Then, equating the determinant of the corresponding homogeneous linear system of equations for coefficients A (B) to zero, we obtain an algebraic equation for finding a(q) (or b(q))"

I try to put into practice but without success :-(

Thanks

1. What is a Mathieu oscillator and how does it differ from a regular oscillator?

A Mathieu oscillator is a type of oscillator that is driven by a periodic external force, known as parametric resonance. Unlike a regular oscillator, which is driven by a constant force, a Mathieu oscillator's frequency changes over time due to the varying amplitude of the external force.

2. How does parametric resonance occur in a Mathieu oscillator?

Parametric resonance in a Mathieu oscillator occurs when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the oscillator. This causes the amplitude of the oscillations to increase significantly, leading to large, sustained vibrations.

3. What are some real-world applications of Mathieu oscillators?

Mathieu oscillators have a variety of applications, including in mechanical systems such as pendulums and bridges, as well as in electrical circuits, lasers, and even biological systems like the human heart.

4. Can parametric resonance in a Mathieu oscillator be controlled or prevented?

Yes, parametric resonance in a Mathieu oscillator can be controlled or prevented by carefully adjusting the frequency and amplitude of the external force. This can be achieved through proper design and tuning of the oscillator, as well as using damping techniques.

5. What are some challenges in studying Mathieu oscillators?

One of the main challenges in studying Mathieu oscillators is their nonlinearity, which makes it difficult to predict their behavior. Additionally, the effects of damping, external noise, and other factors can complicate the analysis of Mathieu oscillators.