How Do You Solve These Challenging Math Competition Problems?

That is, if you have a rectangle with diagonals of length 2a and 2b, then the circle with diameter 2a goes through all the vertices and the circle with diameter 2b goes through all the vertices.
Kushal

Homework Statement

#1 If |x -2| < p, where x < 2, then x - p =

i have obtained an inequality at most.

#2 For what value of the coefficient a do the equations x2 -ax + 1 = 0 and x2 - x + a = 0.

#3 Let R be a rectangle. How many circles in the plane of R have a diameter both of whose endpoits are vertices of R?

The Attempt at a Solution

#1 -p < x-2 < p

eventually i obtain:

-2p + 2 < x - p < 2

#2 I have tried solving simultaneously but i have obtained and equation with both a and x.
i have also tried equating coefficients but i obtain a = 1. The actual answer is -2.

#3 is that 6? because there are 6 different ways of joining 2 vertices in the rectangle.

thnks

Physics news on Phys.org
Kushal said:

Homework Statement

#1 If |x -2| < p, where x < 2, then x - p =

i have obtained an inequality at most.p
That's all you can do. Certainly, given the conditions, x- p is not any specific number. For example, p=2, x= 1 and p= 2, x= 1/2 satisfy the conditions but in the first case x-p= -1 while in the second x-p= -3/2.

#2 For what value of the coefficient a do the equations x2 -ax + 1 = 0 and x2 - x + a = 0.
There is a verb missing! Those equation WHAT? Do you mean "for what value of a" are those equations true for the same x?

#3 Let R be a rectangle. How many circles in the plane of R have a diameter both of whose endpoits are vertices of R?

The Attempt at a Solution

#1 -p < x-2 < p

eventually i obtain:

-2p + 2 < x - p < 2
You haven't used the condition that x< 2. In fact, because of that x-2 is negative, |x-2|= 2- x and, since p is clearly positive, you should have -p< 2- x< p

#2 I have tried solving simultaneously but i have obtained and equation with both a and x.
i have also tried equating coefficients but i obtain a = 1. The actual answer is -2.
What, exactly, is the question? You say the "actual answer" is -2. That would give x2- 2x= 1, which has 1 as its only root and x2- x+ 2 which has complex roots (1/2)+ i and (1/2)- i.

#3 is that 6? because there are 6 different ways of joining 2 vertices in the rectangle.
Yes, that sounds right. Any two points define a circle and there are 6 pairs of points. It is possible that in special cases two or more of those circles would be the same but the general case is 6.

thnks[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry. the question is:

#2 For what value of the coefficient a do the equations x2 -ax + 1 = 0 and x2 - x + a = 0 have a common real solution?for #3 the booklet says the answer is 5. i don't understand how. it is a rectangle. so the pair vertices are all different!thanks!

Kushal said:
sorry. the question is:

#2 For what value of the coefficient a do the equations x2 -ax + 1 = 0 and x2 - x + a = 0 have a common real solution?
I see. One solution must be the same, not necessarily both. Try this. Suppose the solutions to the first equation are "u", and "v" while the solutions to the second equation are "u" and "w". Then you must have (x-u)(x-v)= x2- ax+ 1 and (x-u)(x-w)= x2- x+ a. Multiply those out and set like coeficients equal to get 4 equations for u, v, and w. What value of a gives a solution?

for #3 the booklet says the answer is 5. i don't understand how. it is a rectangle. so the pair vertices are all different!
But it is a rectangle and not 4 arbitrary points. Take a look at the 2 circles having diagonally opposite points as ends of diameters.

thank you HallsofIvy, i got the solution to #2.

but i still cannot understand how come the two circles with the diagonals of the rectangle as diameter will be the same.

The two diagonals of a rectangle have equal length and the same midpoint. A single circle with either diagonal as diameter goes through all four vertices and so has the other diagonal as diameter also.

1. What is a "Maths competition problem"?

A "Maths competition problem" is a type of mathematical problem that is designed to test a person's problem-solving skills and mathematical knowledge in a competitive setting. These problems often involve creative thinking and require the use of various mathematical concepts and techniques.

2. How are Maths competition problems different from regular math problems?

Maths competition problems are typically more challenging and complex than regular math problems. They often require students to think outside the box and use multiple mathematical concepts to arrive at a solution. Additionally, these problems are usually timed and require students to work quickly and efficiently.

3. Are Maths competition problems only for advanced students?

No, Maths competition problems are designed for students of all levels. There are different levels of competitions for different age groups and skill levels. Some competitions even have beginner levels for students who are new to math competitions.

4. How can I prepare for Maths competition problems?

To prepare for Maths competition problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and techniques. It is also helpful to practice solving a variety of math problems and to familiarize yourself with different problem-solving strategies. Additionally, participating in mock competitions or attending workshops can also help you prepare for Maths competition problems.

5. How can I improve my performance in Maths competitions?

To improve your performance in Maths competitions, it is important to practice regularly and to analyze your mistakes. It is also helpful to work on your speed and efficiency in solving problems. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced coaches or participating in training programs can also help you improve your performance in Maths competitions.