Solve the given equation that involves fractional indices

I have seen the way you have used the approximation...it's the same that i am using...i will do a more detailed analysis and then inform you of what i need to. Cheers Charles Link...The problem is a school problem...i am helping a friend solve it, that's why i am saying let's explore on a numerical method...i mean i am not in school anymore.You want to find the value of ##x## that satisfies the equation$$x^\frac{2}{3} - x^\frac{-3}{2}-6=0$$You started by multiplying both sides by ##x^\frac{3}{2}## and got this$$x^\frac{13}{6}-6x^\
chwala said:
'indices'
Indices -- the plural of index -- is the correct spelling. As far as I'm aware, there is no such word as indicies in English.

Likes chwala
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
Indices -- the plural of index -- is the correct spelling. As far as I'm aware, there is no such word as indicies in English.
Thanks noted.

It's not really English it's Greek. So not every native English speaker knows this particular singular-plural couple. (And actually that is true for a number of scientific terms.)

Oh, and while I am here, people have gone thoroughly through calculations of, I guess, some interest, but none of it had the point that your original equation before you mistranscribed it had. :smile:

Last edited:
epenguin said:
It's not really English it's Greek.
The word I said wasn't English was "indicies," a misspelling of indices. "Index" and its plural "indices" (also "indexes") are Latin in origin. See https://www.etymonline.com/word/index.
epenguin said:
So not every native English speaker knows this particular singular-plural couple.
Absolutely. Some others include codex/codices, vortex/vortices, vertex/vertices, as well as words that end in -ix such as appendix/appendices, cicatrix/cicatrices (scar) and a few others. I suspect that these Latin plural endings will become obsolete if they aren't already.

Exactly- some of us know, some of us don't know and some of us have a vague idea or feeling. :redface: