Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLAB and averaging without NaN

1. Jun 10, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

Let's say we have a vector ##x = [1, \,2,\, 3, \,20,\, 4,\, 5,\, 30,\, 6]##. I am trying to loop through and find the magnitude of the derivative of each ##i^{th}## element with unitary spacing, and if that derivative is sufficiently high, I make that element NaN and continue.

Example: Let's call the derivative of the ##i^{th}## element ##d_i\equiv|d_{i-1}-d_{i+1}|/2##. Then ##d_2 = |3-1|/2=1##. Similarly, ##d_3=|20-2|/2=9##. However, if ##d_i## is greater than, say ##5##, I want to make ##x_{i+1}=NaN## and recalculate the derivative using now ##x_{i-1}## and the next non-NaN number. So, as a first loop through ##d_3=|20-2|/2=9## which is above 5, so ##x_4=NaN## and thus ##x = [1, \,2,\, 3, \,NaN,\, 4,\, 5,\, 30,\, 6]##. Then recalculating ##d_3=|4-2|/2=1##. Then ##d_4=|4-3|/2=1/2##. Also, ##d_5=|3-5|/2=2##.

If we continue ##x = [1, \,2,\, 3, \,NaN,\, 4,\, 5,\, NaN,\, 6]##. So far what I have is
    Code (Matlab M):

x = [1 2 3 20 4 5 30 6];
    for i = 2:length(x)-1
            if isnan(x(i-1))==0
                d(i) = abs(x(i+1)-x(i-1))/2;
                if d(i) > 5
                    x(i+1) = NaN;
                end
            else
                ???
            end
    end

I don't know how to write what I've described above, and I could be way off here. Any help would be so awesome!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I would put print statements in the iteration and step through your code and at each step you can verify whether MATLAB is doing what you want if not then you know right where to fix it.

4. Jun 16, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

My solution for sake of others:
    Code (Matlab M):

%% smooths outliers to avoid clusters
        critslope = 3;% critical slope filter
            if isnan(x(i-1))==0
                slope(i) = abs(x(i+1)-x(i-1))/(2*dz);
                if slope(i) >= critslope
                    x(i+1) = NaN;
                end
            count = 1;% reset count in case multiple NaN packets
            else
                count = count+1;% increase count since NaN detected
                slope(i) = abs(x(i+1)-x(i-count))/(2*dz);
                if slope(i) >= critslope
                    x(i+1) = NaN;
                end
            end
        end

%% rewrite NaN as previous value
            if isnan(x(i))==1
                x(i)=x(i-1);
            end
        end

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
  5. Jun 16, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

How did you figure out what was wrong?

6. Jun 16, 2017 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

It's not so much what was wrong, it was more just trying to get something in the "???" statement of my first post. After lot's of thinking about it the above is what came out. I googled and googled but didn't find anything, else I'd post a link.

I definitely followed your advice and printed the final ##x## results of the simple vector above, knowing exactly what the result should look like, and modified the conditions and the "count" until it worked.

At any rate, this should smooth data assuming the first data point is not an outlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted