Animating Vector Addition in Matlab (Looking for improvements)

PhDeezNutz
TL;DR Summary
I eventually want to create a vector addition graphic in matlab. As in the literal "head to tail" idea.
Here is my code thus far and it seems to work (I've attached a gif as well so hopefully that works)
Matlab:
va1 = [50*cos(pi/3), 50*sin(pi/3)]; %Two different vectors both starting from the origin
vb1 = [20*cos(pi/6), 20*sin(pi/6)];

iterator = linspace(1,100,100); %100 iterations for the animation inside the for loop
vaiteratorx = linspace(0,50*cos(pi/3),100); % The ending x points for the first vector in successive animations
vaiteratory = linspace(0,50*sin(pi/3),100); % The ending y points for the first vector in successive animations

vbiteratorx = linspace(0,20*cos(pi/6),100); % The ending x points for the second vector in successive animations
vbiteratory = linspace(0,20*sin(pi/6),100);    % The ending y points for the second vector

for i = 1:length(iterator)
    clf

if i <=50

initial_point1 = [0,0];
        dp = [2*vaiteratorx(i) 2*vaiteratory(i)];
        q1 = quiver(0,0,2*vaiteratorx(i),2*vaiteratory(i),0,'color','m','linewidth',3,'MaxHeadSize',0.25);
        hold on

else

q1 = quiver(0,0,vaiteratorx(end),vaiteratory(end),0,'color','m','linewidth',3,'MaxHeadSize',0.25);
        hold on
        initial_point2 = [0,0];
        dp2 = [2*vbiteratorx(i-50) 2*vbiteratory(i-50)];
        q2 = quiver(0,0,dp2(1),dp2(2),0,'color','c','linewidth',3,'MaxHeadSize',50*0.25/20);
        hold on

end

xlim([0 200])
    ylim([0 ceil(9*200/16)]);
    set(gca,'color','k');
    set(gcf,'color','k');
    Ax = gca;
    Ax.XAxis.Visible = 'off';
    Ax.YAxis.Visible = 'off';
    Ax.XGrid = 'off';
    Ax.YGrid = 'off';
    Ax.Color = 'none';
    fig=gcf;
    fig.Units='normalized';
    fig.OuterPosition=[0 0 1 1];

movieVector(i) = getframe(gcf)
end

myWriter = VideoWriter('SlideTwo','MPEG-4');
myWriter.FrameRate = 1;

open(myWriter)
writeVideo(myWriter,movieVector)
close(myWriter)

What I want to avoid doing is copying and pasting the last part of the last if block for each new else or elseif statement.

If I want to add to eventually add say 30 things to the animation then I will have to copy the last parts 30 times.How do I get around this?

Notice i had to replot "quiver1" for the "else" statement. I would hate to do this endlessly for successive parts.

Anyway I would appreciate any advice about how to approach this and here's the gif.
SlideTwo.gif

Wow that gif is slow.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you mean something like this?

Plot vectors:
% Start with a clean slate
close all; clear all; clc;

% How many frames should be used to grow one vector
nFramesPerVector = 50;

% Just an example from quiver help to generate some vectors
% X = all x-coordinates of all vectors, likewise Y. U is
% length in X direction, likewise V.
[X,Y] = meshgrid(1:6,1:6);
U = 0.25*X;
V = 0.5*Y;

% Total amount of vectors
nvectors = numel(X);

% You need to generate the figure only once
fig = figure('Position', [0 0 1 1]);
fig.Units='normalized';
xlim([0 8])
ylim([0 9])
set(gca,'color','k');
set(gcf,'color','k');
Ax = gca;
Ax.XGrid = 'off';
Ax.YGrid = 'off';
Ax.Color = 'none';
hold on;

% A counter for the total amount of frames
iframe = 1;

% Loop over the vectors
for ivec = 1:nvectors

% Loop over the frames to grow one vector
    for i = 1:nFramesPerVector

% Scale factor for the vectors
        scaleFactor = i/nFramesPerVector;

% Plot the vector
        q1 = quiver(X(ivec),Y(ivec), ...
            scaleFactor*U(ivec),scaleFactor*V(ivec),0,'color','m',...
            'linewidth',2,'MaxHeadSize',0.25);

% Save frame
        movieVector(iframe) = getframe(gcf);

% Delete vector unless it is the final, full-sized vector
        if i ~= nFramesPerVector
            delete(q1)
        end

% Increase frame counter
        iframe = iframe + 1;
    end
end

myWriter = VideoWriter('SlideTwo');
myWriter.FrameRate = 24;

open(myWriter)
close(myWriter)

Likes PhDeezNutz
I will try it as soon as I get home from thanksgiving dinner! Thank you very much for your response!

It was a simple fix. The overall structure was a bunch of if, elseif, else statements nested in a for loop. The problem was that I wasn't retaining the plots to update as the script goes to the next if statement. This was because the plotting was inside the if statements and therefore limited to that scope.

The fix was updating the variables inside the if block and plotting it outside of the if block (before the end of the for loop) while invoking the command "hold on".

The script is as follows and it produces exactly what I want. @Arjan82 's ideas helped me realize that I needed to think about scope.

Fixed Vector Addition Animation:
va1 = [50*cos(pi/3), 50*sin(pi/3)]; %Two different vectors both starting from the origin
vb1 = [20*cos(pi/6), 20*sin(pi/6)];

iterator = linspace(1,150,150); %100 iterations for the animation inside the for loop
vaiteratorx = linspace(0,50*cos(pi/3),150); % The ending x points for the first vector in successive animations
vaiteratory = linspace(0,50*sin(pi/3),150); % The ending y points for the first vector in successive animations

vbiteratorx = linspace(0,20*cos(pi/6),150); % The ending x points for the second vector in successive animations
vbiteratory = linspace(0,20*sin(pi/6),150);    % The ending y points for the second vector

% vabiteratorx = linspace(0,-(20*cos(pi/6) - 50*cos(pi/3)),150);
% vabiteratory = linspace(0,-(20*sin(pi/6) - 50*cos(pi/3)),150);

dp = [0,0];
dp2 = [0,0];
dp3 = [0,0];

for i = 1:length(iterator)
    clf

if i <=50
        dp = [3*vaiteratorx(i), 3*vaiteratory(i)];
    elseif i <= 100
        dp2 = [3*vbiteratorx(i-50) 3*vbiteratory(i-50)];
    else
        dp3  = [3*(vaiteratorx(i-100) - vbiteratorx(i-100)), 3*(vaiteratory(i-100) - vbiteratory(i-100))];
    end

q1 = quiver(0,0,dp(1),dp(2),0,'color','m','linewidth',3,'MaxHeadSize',0.25);
    hold on

q2 = quiver(0,0,dp2(1),dp2(2),0,'color','c','linewidth',3,'MaxHeadSize',50*0.25/20);
    hold on

q3 = quiver(20*cos(pi/6),20*sin(pi/6),dp3(1),dp3(2),0,'color','c','linewidth',3,'MaxHeadSize',0.25);
    hold on

xlim([0 200])
    ylim([0 ceil(9*200/16)]);
    set(gca,'color','k');
    set(gcf,'color','k');
    Ax = gca;
    Ax.XGrid = 'off';
    Ax.YGrid = 'off';
    Ax.Color = 'none';
    fig=gcf;
    fig.Units='normalized';
    fig.OuterPosition=[0 0 1 1];

movieVector(i) = getframe(gcf)
end

myWriter = VideoWriter('SlideTwoTwo','MPEG-4');
myWriter.FrameRate = 1;

open(myWriter)
close(myWriter)

Well, you've asked how to do this when you have 30 vectors without all of the copy-pasting. Your solution still does a lot of unnecessary copy pasting and has lots of double code (try doing this for 30 vectors).

But if it works for you it's fine I guess :).

1. How can I improve the visual representation of vector addition in Matlab?

There are a few ways to improve the visual representation of vector addition in Matlab. One way is to use different colors for each vector to make them more distinguishable. You can also use arrows to indicate the direction and magnitude of each vector. Another way is to use a legend to label each vector to make it easier to understand the components of the addition.

2. Is there a way to animate vector addition in Matlab?

Yes, you can use the quiver function in Matlab to create an animation of vector addition. This function plots arrows representing vectors at specified points. By updating the points and vectors in a loop, you can create an animation of vector addition.

3. How can I add multiple vectors in Matlab?

To add multiple vectors in Matlab, you can use the sum function. This function takes in an array of vectors and adds them together, resulting in a single vector that represents the sum of all the input vectors. You can then use this sum vector to plot the addition in Matlab.

4. Can I plot vector addition in three-dimensional space?

Yes, you can plot vector addition in three-dimensional space in Matlab. You can use the quiver3 function to create a 3D plot of vectors. This function takes in three arrays representing the x, y, and z components of the vectors and plots them in a 3D space. You can then add multiple vectors and use the sum function to plot the addition.

5. How can I save the animation of vector addition in Matlab?

To save the animation of vector addition in Matlab, you can use the VideoWriter function. This function creates a video object that can be written to a file. You can then use a loop to update the vectors and write each frame of the animation to the video object. Finally, you can use the close function to close the video object and save the animation to a file.