How to Use Loops in MATLAB for Maclaurin Series Approximation?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving determining the number of terms necessary to approximate cos(x) to 8 significant digits using Maclaurin series approximation for x = .3*pi. The person is struggling with implementing the solution in MATLAB and is looking for help. They share their current code and someone suggests using matrix manipulation to simplify it. The person also asks about the significance of the epsilon_s term and someone suggests defining it as a tolerance for accuracy. The conversation then shifts to discussing a program for finding perfect numbers using a relationship involving Mersenne prime and integer values. Finally, the person shares a code they created in Spanish and explains how it works. Overall, the conversation is focused on solving mathematical problems using MATLAB.
ibjeepn247365
Hi, hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. The problem says to determine the number of terms necessary to approximate cos(x) to 8 significant digits using Maclaurin series approximation for x = .3*pi. I don't really have a problem with the actually question, my problem comes when we have to do this in matlab. I have come up with something in MATLAB that gives me the answer but wondering if I could use a for or while loop to make it shorter because it seems like there is another way to do it. Thank you for your help in advance. This is a rough copy of MATLAB and just to see if I got the right anser.
n = 8; %Significant Digits
x = .3*pi;
format long
epsilon_s = (.5*10^(2-n));
maclaurin_1 = 1;
maclaurin_2 = 1 - x^2/2;
maclaurin_3 = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4);
maclaurin_4 = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4) - x^6/factorial(6);
maclaurin_5 = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4) - x^6/factorial(6) + x^8/factorial(8);
maclaurin_5 = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4) - x^6/factorial(6) + x^8/factorial(8)...
-x^10/factorial(10);
maclaurin_6 = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4) - x^6/factorial(6) + x^8/factorial(8)...
-x^10/factorial(10) + x^12/factorial(12);
epsilon_a_1 = (maclaurin_2 - maclaurin_1)/maclaurin_2;
epsilon_a_2 = (maclaurin_3 - maclaurin_2)/maclaurin_3;
epsilon_a_3 = (maclaurin_4 - maclaurin_3)/maclaurin_4;
epsilon_a_4 = (maclaurin_5 - maclaurin_4)/maclaurin_5;
epsilon_a_5 = (maclaurin_6 - maclaurin_5)/maclaurin_6;
if abs(epsilon_a_1) < epsilon_s
fprintf('True1\n');
end
if abs(epsilon_a_2) < epsilon_s
fprintf('True2\n');
end
if abs(epsilon_a_3) < epsilon_s
fprintf('True3\n');
end
if abs(epsilon_a_4) < epsilon_s
fprintf('True4\n');
end
if abs(epsilon_a_5) < epsilon_s
fprintf('True5\n');
end

Physics news on Phys.org
I would properly take a little advantage of matlabs matrix manipulation:
Code:
x = .3*pi;
Res(1,1) = 1;
Res(2,1) = 1 - x^2/2;
Res(3,1) = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4);
Res(4,1) = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4) - x^6/factorial(6);
Res(5,1) = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4) - x^6/factorial(6) + x^8/factorial(8);
Res(6,1) = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4) - x^6/factorial(6) + x^8/factorial(8) -x^10/factorial(10);
Res(7,1) = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/factorial(4) - x^6/factorial(6) + x^8/factorial(8) -x^10/factorial(10) + x^12/factorial(12);
for i = 1:6
Res(i,2) = (Res(i+1,1) - Res(i,1))/Res(i+1,1);
Res(i,3) = Res(i,2) - epsilon_s;
end
disp('      maclaurin_i           e_i               e_i-e_s')
disp(Res)
for j = 1:6
if abs(Res(j,2)) < epsilon_s
disp('Error is OK for i ='); disp(j)
end
end

Code:
clear all; 
x = .3*pi;
format long
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
epsilon = 100; maclaurin(1) = 1;
i=1;
while epsilon > epsilon_s  % Loop until the error is small enough
i=i+1;
% use the actual formula since we have the first n-1 terms in the sum already
maclaurin(i) = maclaurin(i-1) + (-1)^(i-1)*x^(2*(i-1))/factorial(2*(i-1));
epsilon = abs((maclaurin(i)-maclaurin(i-1))/maclaurin(i));
end
disp(['Error is OK for i = ', num2str(i)]);
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Better to use the actual formula for the expansion than type out every term, otherwise you may make a typo as you did in the 5th term. And since you reuse the first n-1 terms each time, just take the previous answer and add one new term to it to simplify things.

hey guys anyone reply me the solution for the below problem ASAP.
can i ve a program to find the perfect numbers using this relationship
Mp=2^p-1 where Mp is the mersenne prime and p is the integer and the relationship related to perfect number is n=0.5(Mp+1)Mp=[2^(p-1) ]*((2^p)-1)

Where do you get the epsilon_s= (.5*10^(2-n)); from?

you mean you need someone to show you how to generally define the Maclaurin Series coefficient so you can implement your partial sum as the previous loop's sum plus another term?

Well, it looks like that epsilon_s term is some kind of tolerance for the accuracy. How was that expression derived?

I will show you all the program. I hope you found it interesting. Really, I am a new user of matlab, but also, i needed make it of homework. I have done it in spanish because I am mexican.

PROBLEMA:
Determinar las series de Maclaurin de las funciones f(x)=Seno(x) y g(x)=Coseno(x). ¿Cuantos términos se requieren para representar f(x) y g(x)?, dentro del intervalo -5<=x<=5, con un error inferior a 0.001

EXPLICACION DEL CODIGO ELABORADO:

1.-La funcion a la que se pretende obtener el polinomio de maclaurin es denominada fx. Cabe recordar que esta funcion debe ser trigonometrica, logaritmica o exponencial, para que se forme en todos los terminos de la serie el polinomio.

2.- Se recomienda que el numero inicial de terminos que se den a la serie sea de máximo 5. Si, por ejemplo realiza la primer corrida del programa, con n=4, y el resultado es n=4, puede ser que para ese valor de n terminos del polinomio, sean mas de los necesarios para adquirir la tolerancia deseada. Se esto sucede se recomienda probar con un número de "n" menor.

3.- "C" es el valor del punto en el cual se evalua la proximidad (tolerancia) del polinomio y la funcion original. Recordar que la serie de Maclaurin es un caso particular de la serie de Taylor en x=0. Por este motivo no es necesario agregar otro punto, you una serie de maclaurin siempre es simétrica con respecto al eje "y".

IMPORTANTE:

La capacidad del programa elaborado es limitada, debido a la cantidad de terminos que se involucran en los factoriales cada vez que crece la serie.

CODIGO EN MATLAB:

clf,
clear screen,
syms('x','y','fx','fxm','gh','fnx');
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% D A T O S D E E N T R A D A %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
fx=cos(x);%ESTA ES LA FUNCION EN LA FUNCION A LA CUAL SE LE OBTIENE LA SERIE DE MACLAWRIN
n=5;%ESTE ES EL NÚMERO INICIAL DE TERMINOS DE LA SERIE (MENOS DE 5)
c=6;%PUNTO EN EL CUAL SE EVALÚA EL ERROR)
tolerancia=.001;%TOLERANCIA PERMITIDA PARA EL POLINOMIO (EN EL PUNTO C)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
fnx(1,1)=subs(fx,0);
gh(1,1)=subs(fx,0);
for i=1:n
fnx(i+1,1)=(diff(fx,i))/(factorial(i)), gh(i+1,1)=(subs(fnx(i+1,1),0))*x^i,
end
fxm=sum(gh);
d=abs(subs(fxm,c));
e=abs(subs(fx,c));
error=abs(d-e),
while error > tolerancia
n=n+1
fnx(n,1)=((diff(fx,n))/(factorial(n))),
gh(n,1)=((subs(fnx(n,1),0))*x^n);
fxm=sum(gh),
d=abs(subs(fxm,c)),
e=abs(subs(fx,c)),
error=abs(d-e)
end
f1=-(abs(c)+1);f2=abs(c)+1;
f=f1:0.1:f2;f3=subs(fx,x,f);
ezplot(fxm,f); hold on;
plot(f,f3,'m'),
clc
disp(' este es el polinomio de Maclaurin ')
pretty(fxm)
disp('el número de términos requeridos para la serie son'),n
error
legend('serie de Maclaurin','Función original')

SALUDOS DESDE MEXICO

factorial in matlab

1. What is Matlab and how is it used for Maclaurin series?

Matlab is a software program that is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields for data analysis, visualization, and mathematical computations. It also has a built-in function for calculating and graphing Maclaurin series, which are power series expansions of functions around a specific point.

2. How do I generate a Maclaurin series in Matlab?

To generate a Maclaurin series in Matlab, you can use the built-in "taylor" function. This function takes in the desired function, the expansion point, and the number of terms to be included in the series. The output will be the Maclaurin series approximation of the function.

3. Can Matlab handle complex Maclaurin series?

Yes, Matlab can handle complex Maclaurin series. The "taylor" function can take in complex-valued functions and expansion points, and the resulting series will also be complex-valued.

4. Are there any limitations to using Matlab for Maclaurin series?

One limitation of using Matlab for Maclaurin series is that the "taylor" function can only handle functions that are analytic at the expansion point. This means that the function must have a power series representation that converges to the original function within a certain radius of convergence.

5. Can I plot the Maclaurin series generated by Matlab?

Yes, you can plot the Maclaurin series generated by Matlab using the "ezplot" function. This function takes in the Maclaurin series as an input and plots it on a graph. You can also add the original function to the plot for comparison.