1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Matlab) How to find inverse using eig

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    (Matlab) How to find inverse using "eig"

I'm doing a project for Numerical Methods and one of the questions is how to find an inverse of a (random) matrix using Matlab function 'eig'. I know the solution is probably simple, but I almost never used Matlab before, besides, lectures were horrible and notes aren't helping. Anyway, this question bothers me because I can't recall any analytical way of calculating inverse matrix using eigenvalues. There is a consequence of Cayley-Hamilton theorem, where you can find the inverse of A from its characteristic polynomial. But if this is what they're asking to do, then why use 'eig' in Matlab, when there's 'poly' ...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2
    Re: (Matlab) How to find inverse using "eig"

There is a very useful, analytical means by which the inverse of a matrix can be calculated, using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix in question. It even has a name: finding the matrix inverse via eigendecomposition. I imagine it would be in your notes, otherwise it is easily found on the web (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigendecomposition#Matrix_inverse_via_eigendecomposition")

I hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook